ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mystery of the Disappearing Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John StanowskiMystery of the Disappearing Layer
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 12:46:55 am

I have a layer that's fine when I'm working on it and fine during RAM previews. However, when I attempt to render it out (Quicktime, Animation) it's just not there.

I imported an .ai file of a logo. I added the Fill Effect to make it blue. Duplicated the layer 5x's, each dup. was put a little further back in Z to make a fake 3D logo.

The front-most duplicate I changed the Fill Effect's color to white. Looks fine, in RAM preview too.

Then I took this comp and placed it into my "main comp". Switched on Collapse Transformations. Every works and looks fine.

Then I (lazy, I know) duplicated my main comp 3x's and put a different Camera move in each.

In my Final Comp I added those three and play them one at a time, each one blending into the next using the Fade in Over Layer Below behavior.

Again, it's looks fine (in RAM preview, too).

But every time I render, that front-most, white layer in the logo disappears... mostly. The only bit of it I can see is in areas where the layers behind it don't occupy. Almost as if the layers behind it were masking it my their boundaries.

... Any ideas?

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram
Snow Leopard (up-to-date)
Adobe Master Collection CS4 & CS5

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mystery of the Disappearing Layer
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:13:42 am

It sounds like you've been working in a camera view other than the Active Camera. The Active Camera view is the only view from which AE renders out a file.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mystery of the Disappearing Layer
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:44:47 pm

You're not rendering with OpenGL on, are you?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John StanowskiRe: Mystery of the Disappearing Layer
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:01:28 pm

Yes, and that was it! I was rendering with open gl. Thank you!

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram
Snow Leopard (up-to-date)
Adobe Master Collection CS4 & CS5

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mystery of the Disappearing Layer
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:18:51 pm

No problem. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Mystery of the Disappearing Layer
by on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:45:24 pm

Michael: You're not rendering with OpenGL on, are you?

DING!!

To add: Check your default output settings and create some that you know definitively have OpenGL off for render (for instance, "Best" should have OpenGL off as default).

I'd also like to add that if using OpenGL for fast previews, it is a very good idea to turn it off for PREVIEWS before render, and to check your comp with it OFF, as your "normal render" my render differently than the OpenGL previews would indicate. This is ESPECIALLY true when working in Linear - if you are working in LINEARIZED colorspace, then you must ensure that OpenGL is off for any color related work/previewing (black levels in particular will be totally wrong, at least in CS5)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]