ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scrunch Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan DonaldsonScrunch Effect
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 9:51:14 pm

Hello. I have an object that I wish to scrunch. Basically, it's a sheet on a bed that I want to scrunch so it looks like it was pushed down the bed. I believe to achieve this effect I need to use some sort of Distort effect, but I do not know which. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ryan TurnerRe: Scrunch Effect
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:39:37 pm

Wesh Warp should do it. You may want to cheat a shadow where the bed is being pushed down to help sell the effect.

Return to posts index

Dan DonaldsonRe: Scrunch Effect
by on Feb 9, 2012 at 4:20:31 pm

I will try the Mesh Warp but I am unsure of what you mean by cheat a shadow? If you could clarify, that would be immensely helpful. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ryan TurnerRe: Scrunch Effect
by on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:23:39 pm

1. Use the mesh warp to animate the scrunch
2. Duplicate the layer and set the transfer mode of the top layer to MULTIPLY
3. Go down your timeline where the scrunch is at it's widest. Using the Mask tool draw around the scrunch area. Then feather it slightly (around 8-10 depending). Set a keyframe for Mask Expansion(0).
4. Move to the beginning of the scrunch effect. Set a keyframe for the mask expansion to a negative number (ex.: -15) until you no longer see the darkness of the top layer.
5. Duplicate top layer to make darker or use color correction tools to darken.

I attached a link to a very rough example. Let me know if you have any questions.

Return to posts index

Chris WarrenRe: Scrunch Effect
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:50:14 pm

You can try the Mesh Warp effect. It's pretty simple to use, you can define the number of points horizontally and vertically, then grab a point and start scrunching.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]