ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Smoke from a brand - wide area - how to animate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImi BooseSmoke from a brand - wide area - how to animate
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 7:53:57 am

Hi everyone.
I'm trying to make a title look like it's being branded forward - so the title comes forward, and then there are some color changes on the text to make it look like it branded into something and I want the smoke to come up in the rectangular area of where the letters are.

I've watched a bunch of tutorials on how to make smoke and it's looking fairly convincing. I'm using - Particle Playground and Fast Blur. The problem I am having is that I don't want it to start at a certain point in space and spread from there - I want it to come out from a wide space all at once.

I have the settings in Particle Playground so that it does that eventually but I can't figure out how to make it do that right at the beginning. The way it is now, it is starting on the left side and takes a few seconds before it spreads over to encompass the whole area of the letters. It's taking 3 seconds and I want it to do it in less than half a second. i've messed w. velocity but it doesn't seem to be working.

Any suggestions....hopefully I'm making sense.

File not found - Bad serial number - the problem could be this, that or the other...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Smoke from a brand - wide area - how to animate
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:45:27 am

With the particle system that you are using I have one suggestion only:
Precomp the particle layer and apply Time Remap on it. Set keyframes at the beginning and the end of the 3 sec when the smoke starts coming out and adjust those to 12-15 frames. If you do not want the end part of the clip to be modified, make sure that when you move the keyframe at the end of the 3 sec interval, you also select and move the keyframe at the end of the smoke layer.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: Smoke from a brand - wide area - how to animate
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 12:42:01 pm

Yeah, I think that's the only way with the built in particle systems.
If you use effects like that often, it's worth purchasing particular. It's way faster, and you can shift when you start.
Of course, if it's rare that you do projects like that, it's not worth paying for something. I wish I had more uses for it. There are a small handful of times I could have benefit from it, but those don't add up to 300 dollars. ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved