ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do you do this effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Allan
How do you do this effect
on Feb 5, 2012 at 7:56:21 pm

Hi guys im looking to do this film flash like the one seen at 0.56 here-

Is this just a preset on a plug in and if so which one. Much appreciated!

Kind Regards,


Return to posts index

James Rice
Re: How do you do this effect
on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:49:48 pm

I'd recommend using venetian blinds on an adjustment layer and adjust the amount of lines to suit your comp accordingly, then toggle the opacity as suits with some keyframes. For the wash over the top just use a light yellow solid, maybe even add a ramp to it in order to create some subtle tones between white & yellow, also you could add some fractal noise to the yellow solid and set it to screen / play with it again to create a slightly dirtier looking transition. Alternately for the lines you could just create a straight horizontal line across the centre of the comp then motion tile it to suit to achieve a similar effect, then just play with the keyframes / layer opacity again. Hope this helps, James

Return to posts index

Anthony Marzilli
Re: How do you do this effect
on Feb 6, 2012 at 8:20:34 pm

Look up Film Burns. You can find them on any stock site pretty cheep. Put them on the video layer above your clip and set its transfer mode to screen.

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: How do you do this effect
on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:08:59 pm

The example in that video looks pretty simple, and does not look like a "film flash" IMO

There are some plug ins that can emulate film damage pretty well.

But you can achieve this effect using the EXPOSURE plug in along with some masks and masked solids blended using ADD (work in 32 bit mode or at the least, select "blend using linear light" for best results).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved