ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Flipping Difficulty!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Madison
Flipping Difficulty!
on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:52:03 am

Forgive the pun in the thread title!

This is a question about flipping a 3D layer on its axis.
I've attached an image of the kind of movements I would like to animate. The issue i have is the changing anchor points which determine the angle of rotation.
Is there any way to set up - possible using Nulls and parenting - to achieve the kind of movements suggested in the picture?
The layer is an equilateral triangle if this information is necessary.

Thanks

Return to posts index

James Rice
Re: Flipping Difficulty!
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:19:41 pm

It depends on what you're trying to achieve, however if its just a simple animation could you not set up multiple triangles with different anchor points, and toggle the opacity between them when you want to make the next turn... this should keep the animation looking seamless and achieve the turns you want if I'm understanding your question correctly. Hope its a possible solution, James

Return to posts index

John Madison
on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:14:40 pm

That seems an option, though I feel there is a better workaround. Nevertheless, I will look into it.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:10:28 am

Another option is to split the layer and then change the Anchor Point for the 'new' layer.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

John Madison
on Feb 6, 2012 at 12:29:31 pm

Roland, I am not sure how your options works. Can you elaborate?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:28:24 pm

Heya John, I'll try to give a quick rundown. Each layer is restricted by its Anchor Point, as its center of rotation. With a single-level Parenting hierarchy, an additional center of rotation can be introduced. With additional levels of Parenting, subsequent centers of rotation can be introduced.

I believe that this was what was introduced in a earlier post.

What I am proposing allows you to reset the Anchor Point without introducing additional levels of Parenting. It will become obvious that things can get unnecessarily convoluted with each successive Parenting level that is introduced into the dynamics.

My suggested option to Split a layer and then changing the 'newer' layer's Anchor Point (using the Pan Behind Tool) achieves the same effect - ie, to introduce a new center of rotation but without the need to introduce multiple levels of Parenting.

All you need to do is to set your ANchor Point for a layer. Keyframe its rotation value. Split the layer (Edit>Split Layer - this creates another instance of the original layer but restricted to new in/out points). Select the 'newer' layer and then use the Pan Behind tool to change its Anchor Point location. Then apply KFs for the rotation value.

BTW, such techniques (both - parenting and splitting layers) are useful for movements used in Kinetic Typography sequences.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

John Madison
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:43:40 pm

Roland, this works pretty good. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg