ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New Layers Not Interacting With Other Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark OlsenNew Layers Not Interacting With Other Layers
by on Feb 3, 2012 at 7:46:07 pm

Last night I made a 3D scene using a variety of shape layers and illustrator vectors. This morning, when I add new layers and make them 3D they are able to be moved around in xyz space, but they are not interacting with my other layers (that I created last night).

I'm hoping that this is something simple... BUT! If not, I would be happy to upload my project file or submit screenshots.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: New Layers Not Interacting With Other Layers
by on Feb 3, 2012 at 8:05:50 pm

Maybe you've already checked all this, but...

Are your new layers a long way from the others in z-space? Orbit around your scene and you might find that they are not intersecting at all. Might your older layers be parented to a null or something else, so their x,y,z position might not represent their true position in space (I've had the situation where I have two layers with exactly the same position co-ordinates, but one is way off - it's because one of the layers is parented to something else).

Unless by "not interacting" you're talking about light and shadows - open each layer's material properties (shortcut aa I think) and check they have "cast shadows", "receive shadows" and "receive lights" ON.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: New Layers Not Interacting With Other Layers
by on Feb 3, 2012 at 8:09:59 pm

[Mark Olsen] "This morning, when I add new layers and make them 3D they are able to be moved around in xyz space, but they are not interacting with my other layers (that I created last night)."

If you have any 2D layers (or adjustment layers) in the midst of your 3D layers, it will break their interaction.

See 3D layer interactions, render order, and collapsed transformations [link] for more.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark OlsenRe: New Layers Not Interacting With Other Layers
by on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:56:19 pm

Thank-you for the quick responses! I wasn't checking that my new layers were above my camera layer...once I dropped them below it, my graphics behaved like normal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]