ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Replace with AE Comp" loses Premiere colour correction

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PHil Side
"Replace with AE Comp" loses Premiere colour correction
on Feb 2, 2012 at 3:57:11 pm

I have four clips, which I've colour corrected individually in Premeiere, using RGB Curves. These sit on the main timeline as a single nested sequence. I want add a title to the sequence in After Effects. If I choose Replace With After Effects Composition, when the sequence opens in AE, all the colour correction is gone.

Do I need to export the sequence from Premiere, import and apply the titles in AE, render it out again, and then re-import it into Premiere? What effect is that going to have the image?

Thanks,
Phil.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: "Replace with AE Comp" loses Premiere colour correction
on Feb 2, 2012 at 5:21:27 pm

The color correction effects may not carry over into After Effects, but are they still applied to the timeline asset in Premiere?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

PHil Side
on Feb 2, 2012 at 5:36:44 pm

They are applied in Premiere, yes. But I want to take the clips out of Premiere and into AE, so that I can add a title. If I choose "Replace with AE Comp", then the effects I've applied in Premiere disappear in both AE and Premiere.

That is, I apply effects in Premiere, then open in AE. At that point the effects on the Premiere timeline disappear, because the clip is replaced by the AE comp, and the AE comp had removed the effects.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:12:57 pm

Either apply the same color correction after you send the clip to AE (in other words to the AE comp), or nest the clip in a sequence, apply effects to sequence in Premiere, go in the sequence and send footage to AE. Either way, you will not see your color correction done in Premiere in AE unless you render first from Premiere.
My question is: why not color correct in AE?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

PHil Side
on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:23:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did try nesting the sequence and sending it, but that too lost the Premiere effects. I eventually ended up regrading it in AE. Regarding why not colour correct in AE, I just find it simpler to do as much as possible in one program. I was happy with the grading I'd done in Premiere, and I just wanted to use AE to add a title. I didn't realise AE would strip the Premiere effects. I might rethink how I work in future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]