ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating Multiple Comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer TycksenCreating Multiple Comps
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:02:14 pm

I have a large list of clips in my project window that need no editing, only export. For reasons I don't care to explain, the name of each clip is particularly important, and in the project pane I have them named accordingly. As I drag and drop them onto the comps button to turn them into compositions, AE renames them, by adding a "2" after them, probably so as to differentiate them from the clips in the project pane. Is there a way to make it so that when I drop them in that the name doesn't change, but remains the same? It is a huge pain to have to go back and individually rename each comp. If you have any tips on this, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Creating Multiple Comps
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:14:56 pm

[Spencer Tycksen] "I have a large list of clips in my project window that need no editing, only export... As I drag and drop them onto the comps button to turn them into compositions, AE renames them, by adding a "2" after them, probably so as to differentiate them from the clips in the project pane. Is there a way to make it so that when I drop them in that the name doesn't change, but remains the same?"

If you're not going to do anything to the clips, you don't need to put them in comps in the first place. You can select the footage items and add them directly to the Render Queue (although I would wonder why you'd bother using AE for this at all).

If you do really need them in comps, you can use Christopher Green's very nice Project Items Renamer script [link] to do a search for " 2" and a replace with "" (blank).

If you find his scripts useful, you might consider using his Donate button.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Spencer TycksenRe: Creating Multiple Comps
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:22:41 pm

Thanks for the response. When I dragged them directly into the render queue, I got the same result, as far as renaming goes. I needed to export the clips as mp3s, and in my novice ways, this is the best way I knew how to do that.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Creating Multiple Comps
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:28:03 pm

You could bring the clips into Adobe Media Encoder and make your MP3s from there.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]