ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Red Colorspace Workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
André Inácio
After Effects Red Colorspace Workflow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:52:36 pm

Hi all!

My company works essencially with 3D architectural visualization films, and we do a lot of integrations with greenscreen footage and our 3D.

For the first time we shoot with the Red One camera, and it is causing us a little confusion about how to interpret those files correctly in after effects.

For what i've read so far in the adobe help files, the correct workflow would be:

- Create the main Comp, set it to 32bpc, and assign it an HDTV(Rec.709) colorspace.

- Import the .R3D footage, interpret footage, and set the color profile too to HDTV(Rec.709).

- View > Simulate output > Here I set it to my monitor calibration profile.

The problem is, that the footage just don't looks right. If i open the same footage in Red Cine, the footage is great, but i can't figure out how to interpret it correctly in after effects.

What i came up to do so far is:

- Create the main Comp and set it to 32bpc;

- Then, I import the .R3D file to after effects, interpret footage, and click on the Preserve RGB checkbox.

This way the footage looks equal to the Red Cine, but i'm afraid that by this workflow i am not taking the full advantage of the .R3D file

Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

I'm working with After Effects CS5.5 Version 10.5.1.2

Thank's in advance, and sorry for my bad english.

André Inácio

http://www.andreinacio.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: After Effects Red Colorspace Workflow
on Feb 1, 2012 at 6:02:45 pm

UI haven't used RED in a year or so, but the principle is the same as far as I know. Red Cine will show you the "interpretation" of your footage, the way your DP set the aperture, ISO, gain and so on. In AE, using the settings you mentioned, you see the RAW file without any interpretation. All the data is there and you can Color Correct the footage as you see fit.
If you are happy with what you get from Red Cine, then export your footage from there in a format that AE can work with.

Here's a link that may help:
http://nofilmschool.com/2012/01/red-workflow-redcine-x-premiere-pro/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

André Inácio
on Feb 2, 2012 at 10:55:14 am

The thing is, by having the "preserve RGB" checkbox checked, am i still working over the raw data? It's the only way tha footage looks exactly the same like in red cine.

And thanks for the link, that video actually showed me the real power of working over the raw footage, however i found the "more options" window to be a little limited, because it works like an outside application of AE, i mean, i can't for example do a mask in certain part of the shot and work the color temperature only there, do you know what i mean?

Thanks for the help :)

http://www.andreinacio.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 2, 2012 at 3:27:31 pm

The way I did color grading on RED footage was to take the raw look ( no preserve RGB) and start from scratch. I used multiple instances of Colorista and/or some of the basic Color Correction plugins (Levels, Hue Stauration...) together with masks (either on duplicate layers or on Adjustment layers). I never used preserve RGB, and I'm not sure if or how it limits the color depth.
Anyone else...?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:57:01 am

Hi, small question, which AE color space and profile do you use for your 3d renders? Are they Max files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]