Recreating A Trapcode Matchmoving Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dorian HellerRecreating A Trapcode Matchmoving Effect
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 5:51:52 am

Hey guys,

I want to recreate something like this:

or this:

I have some footage, taken from a dolly, I've used The Foundry's Camera Tracker to track the shot. I keep running into an issue when I do this though, because every time I try and set up my light into the shot, to use as an emitter for particular, I can't seem to set the postion values correctly. It just doesn't look 3D. When I use a "box" emitter in particular, it looks 3D as long as I keep the position value in the Particular parameters to 0. Can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks,
Dorian

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Recreating A Trapcode Matchmoving Effect
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:34:49 am

The first video uses matchmoving except for possibly one scene. The second image uses 2D tracking. The description of what you want to do sounds like matchmoving may be required (although 2D tracking may also be a viable solution) - if you posted the source video, a more definitive solution may be provided.

Your issues with using a Light Layer as an emitter lacks information for me to assist you. I believe it is best if you break down your shot into two major technical parts - (1) tracking or matchmoving (2) inserting your element into the scene.

1) After tracking, do you have issues inserting ... say a text layer or even a Solid.
If these work fine then all you need to do is to re-position the Light emitter layer so that it sits where you want it to in the scene. Since it is a 3D layer, it will interact with the matchmoved/solved camera (matchmoving scenario) without any other work required.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Dorian HellerRe: Recreating A Trapcode Matchmoving Effect
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:47:32 am

I'm looking to an effect similar to the first video. When I attempt to put a text layer in the comp (I make it 3D and copy the position data from one of the nulls I have created from the Camera Tracker) it is way out of the comp bounds, so I move it into the comp bounds and it does not stick to the shot at all, I am thinking that this is a tracking or position error that I am doing somehow. Do you know how to use the Camera Tracker for this effect?

Also here is the source video that I am trying to track: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17788937/Sequence%201.mov

Hopefully this helps explain my problem. Basically I want the first video effects, in the above video. Thanks for your help thus far, I just keep getting stuck on this Camera Tracker and how to get it to track correctly and how to keep my object sticking in one spot and moving with the shot naturally, instead of randomly wiggling around.

Thanks,
Dorian

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:31:48 pm

It sounds like you have an issue with using Camera Tracker. Either your your solve is poor, Null is created erroneously, or your Null is parented while your Text Layer isn't. Copying transform data from a Parented layer onto a layer without the same parenting structure will result in discrepancy in their transform values.

BTW, the link to the source video you provided hasn't shown anything yet. I have to bail out from it. Perhaps you can compress to a level that is Web-friendly.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:36:31 pm

Okay, thanks, I will upload the video again, here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17788937/Sequence%201%20Works.m4v

This should work although it is rather small, its a .m4v (ipod) I am hoping it works this time.

All my nulls that I created through the Camera Tracker are parented to the Camera and the text layer is parented to one of those Nulls, is this the problem?

Thanks for all your help,
Dorian

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:50:27 pm

[Dorian Heller] "All my nulls that I created through the Camera Tracker are parented to the Camera and the text layer is parented to one of those Nulls, is this the problem?"

YES! You can check this by removing the Parenting feature for both the Null and the Text Layer - once the parenting is removed on both layers, check their position values to see that they are actually different.

My advice is to always remove Parenting from any Nulls created by Camera Tracker. And then copy/paste transform data as required to other insert elements. FWIW, the parenting of the said Nulls are useful only if you need to extend the camera moves should you want to create set extensions and you want the camera to continue moving to 'access' the extended set areas.

BTW, the shot you posted looks pretty achievable. Follow the instructions provided thus far - ie. test with a text layer to ensure that your solve and transform data are accurate before working with an effect.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:11:14 am

Thanks! It appears to be working!

Thanks,
Dorian

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:31:06 am

You're welcome Dorian. FWIW, here's a link http://www.broadcastgems.com/MediaServer01/TrackingTest_PavementLeaves_01.m... to something I did a while back with Camera Tracker and Trapcode's Particular & Lux plugins.

Take note that after solving the camera and ensuring that my Particular & Lux layers were indeed part of the scene, I then went ahead and added KFs for the Light Emitter layer - it's just a slight enhancement over simply inserting an element into a solved camera scene.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]