ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Simple Render for DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DragoSimple Render for DVD
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:10:29 am

I'm a little frustrated - so bear with me.
All I want to do is take an After Effects project, render it out to a format suitable for DVD playback, burn it to a DVD and watch it on my TV. Simple right?

Using AE CS 5.5

The files I am importing into AE are .mts files from my Canon HD camcorder. No problem there - they go right in. I create a couple of layers, add some .wav music and I'm done.

I then render my file, burn it to a DVD - and it won't play.

I first tried a .mov file - my DVD spit it out saying that it couldn't read the audio codec.

Then I tried MPEG-2. This created several files. Burned them all to the DVD - the DVD didn't even recognize that anything was on the disk.

I am, at the moment trying AVI (should I be typing while rendering?) in hopes that this will work.

Is there a guide, or a step-by-step that I can use to simply burn a rendered file to a watchable DVD? I'm not asking for a miracle - I just want to watch my kids recital on the big screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I'll let you know how the AVI file goes.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Simple Render for DVD
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:54:20 am

Do you have a DVD recording program? Just burning a couple of files to a DVD disc wont work. I work with AE and Adobe Encore and if I"m going to burn straight out of AE, I would use the DVD preset, open up Encore and drop it into a timeline and burn from there.

If you are using Windows to make your dvd, I believe you need to find a way to create a .iso or .img file. You can probably find a program out there to create an .iso or .img from your mpeg2 or m2v files.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

John DragoRe: Simple Render for DVD
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:33:11 am

I am a complete idiot.

Thanks so much. I knew I didn't lay out over $900 just for After Effects - there is a whole productions suite in my Adobe Production Suite CS5.5! I just needed to open my eyes. And yes - really - I am that stupid. Thanks for leading the blind man.

I've never used Encore before - but I googled it - and found a simple tutorial. I precomped the AE file - went into Encore - did a dynamic link to my comp file - and Encore is transcoding and creating my DVD as we speak (should I be typing as Encore is transcoding?)

Pretty cool - thank you for the quick reply.

Oh - and AE created a 30GB AVI file for my 2 minute, 45 second movie. Not much I could do with it but stare at the file size in amazement.

Thanks again!

John Drago

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Simple Render for DVD
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:24:15 am

[John Drago] "Oh - and AE created a 30GB AVI file for my 2 minute, 45 second movie. Not much I could do with it but stare at the file size in amazement."

Yeah -- that happens.

AE's default lossless output module generates an intermediate file that is designed for additional post-production use, not direct playback. These files are generally huge, with very high data rates, and very few computers can play them back in real time without stuttering. For more, see this Adobe FAQ [link]: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Simple Render for DVD
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:05:54 am

A few more words on compression in general - AE is not the best compression tool period. For all your compression needs Adobe Media Encoder *(part of CS) is what you need to use. You can either compress a pre-rendered file or open a AE project, choose the composition you want and render compressed from Encoder. For best compression use 2pass where available.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved