ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Degrading CG elements to match footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark HarringtonDegrading CG elements to match footage?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:35:25 pm

I'm doing a comp with tracked footage combined with rendered 3D elements from Maya, everything looks almost photoreal but the 3D stuff is still too sharp and gives it away, the footage was taken with a good camera and its HD but its not sharp enough to match the 3D, so is there any good techniques/tutorials/plugins to add fine blemishes and degrade the 3D to make it look like it was shot with the original footage?

Thanks in advanced.

http://www.cgmachine.com

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Degrading CG elements to match footage?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:15:38 pm

Well, there's this: [link]
That should help a lot.

Alternatively you can use your NLE to output your animation to tape on your camera and then capture it. That may or may not help, but it would certainly be interesting to try.

If your HD footage is 1440*1080 with the non-square aspect ratio, it wouldn't hurt to render your Maya footage in that same pixel aspect ratio and reimport it. (I don't mean redo your Maya render - unless it won't take real long - I mean to do it with the Adobe Media Encoder or something like that.)

Also some instances of fast blur of very small amounts could help (some horizontal and some regular).

Don't forget to match the grain too: [link] or something similar.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Degrading CG elements to match footage?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:17:50 pm

Softening the edges with a slight blur, de-saturating the color in the 3d elements layers and adding a overall color grading pass plus matching the grain in the 3d layers with the background usually does the trick.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Degrading CG elements to match footage?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:23:15 pm

Hey Ted, have you tried this little guy out yet [link]? I haven't had to do any compositing of 3d elements with real-world recently so I haven't tried it out, but it looks like it would work nicely.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Degrading CG elements to match footage?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:32:19 pm

Never heard of it before. Looks really neat though- thanks for sharing. I think I'll put that on my list of new plug-ins to buy.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Degrading CG elements to match footage?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:59:15 pm

qp_ChromaSubsample does look pretty cool.

I love the irony that we always strive to make our camera footage look CG-perfect, then we turn around and try to make our CG look camera-natural.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark HarringtonRe: Degrading CG elements to match footage?
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:32:22 am

Thanks for all the replies!

That qp_ChromaSubsample plugin is brilliant, seems to have done the trick - that and some subtle fast blur + grading and it now looks exactly how I wanted. And the VHS sample setting looks like an interesting effect, will be using that in future no doubt.

http://www.cgmachine.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]