ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I output an after effects file to polarized 3D?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael NeelCan I output an after effects file to polarized 3D?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:50:27 pm

Hello

I'm doing an After FX animated film, and I was wondering it it's possible to create a polarized 3D version that can be projected in 3D in a theater or on a 3D tv. Can After Effects or another program do this? If so what is the process like, how hard/time consuming is it, etc?

The specs for the film are 1920x 1080, square pixels, 23.98 fps. We're using psd files.

This forum is amazing and has answered all of my questions and cured countless headaches. I tell all my filmmaking friends about it and they love it too.

Thanks!
Michael

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Can I output an after effects file to polarized 3D?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:55:50 pm

You will need to check with your local cinema to see what sort of file format they need.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ramil PasibeRe: Can I output an after effects file to polarized 3D?
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:29:11 pm

For a Cinema Projector - you would need to output it to a DCP (Digital Cinema Package) File, DVS Clipster allows this option - http://www.dvs.de/products/video-systems/clipster.html

For a polarized 3D TV, well as a final output - I've only tested 2 polarized TVs - the JVC 46 inches and the LG polarized TV. For both, as a final output, I usually export a side by side format via Final Cut Pro, using either Cineform Neo 3D or Dashwood 3D Plugins. (just google these products :-) )

Then, the Quicktime side by side Master File is then encoded to a high quality H.264 1080p codec then transferred to a media player - (in our case it's an A.C. Ryan Model) then output via HDMI to the 3d TV.

the, that's it. Just adjust the settings on the TV to read the incoming file as a side by side format.

regards,

Ramil

Return to posts index

Ken GearyRe: Can I output an after effects file to polarized 3D?
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 5:17:34 pm

Correction

CS5 and up has QT issues. You need to use CS4 After Effects to effectively work with exporting .mov files.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 5:39:17 pm

Hi Ken,

I am not aware of this issue. Thanks for the info. I am primarily working on a macpro though utilizing cineform neo 3D as my codec in aquicktime container when working with STEREO Footages.

I have exported to QT inside AE CS5.5 on my macpro and have tested it without any problems whatsoever - even to my final output of h.264 compression side by side format for the various Polarized TVs.

perhaps more of a Windows Problem? Thanks again for the tip.

Return to posts index

Michael NeelRe: Can I output an after effects file to polarized 3D?
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 7:20:07 pm

Hi guys

Thanks so much for all your help! Glad to know that this is doable and not just a pipe dream :)

I have one more question: When creating the QT in After effects, does it make any difference how you set up your files in the axis space? For example, if I have a character on one part of the z axis and another character on another part of the z axis, will this have an impact on how the 3D effect looks?

Oh, and for the record we're using CS4.

Thanks
Michael

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2012 at 5:34:58 pm

Hi Michael,

first of all. You should already be monitoring your project LIVE via a 3D monitor - preferably the biggest one you can find or closest to the size you would be showing your final delivery - otherwise the parallax would be so out of place.

I suggest you look into AJA or BlackMagic Design cards that support stereoscopic output via dual stream SDI then get yourself a Polarized 3D monitor that way you are confident on the things you are working on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]