ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Jittery Play Back

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Booth
After Effects Jittery Play Back
on Jan 31, 2012 at 2:20:59 pm

Good morning everyone! I need of some assistance here. I am working on pretty simple animation just sliding PSDs in and out of a 1920 x 1080 frame at 29.97fps and I have this horrible jitter on the images. This problem is evident in RAM previews and exported Animation Quicktimes. I have trashed prefs, tweaked memory and multiprocessing settings and tried different images. Still the problem persists. Unfortunately, this is a big project and a new job so I need to get this figured out sooner than later.

I'm feeling like it is a graphics card issue. I installed DaVinci Resolve lite yesterday and I kind of think this started around then. Resolve installed CUDA and some other BMD stuff. I tried to uninstall CUDA, but it doesn't appear that I was successful.

My system details are as follows:
MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
Mac OSX Lion
Adobe CS5

Any ideas, suggestions or compassionate encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718
http://www.innismaggiore.com
positioning is our position.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After Effects Jittery Play Back
on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:35:51 pm

Did this same project (with no changes) used to play back with no problems? Your description sounds to me an awful lot like judder. [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Josh Booth
on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:38:01 pm

Yeah. Things played back okay before. Thanks for the link, but I reviewed it quite a few time yesterday and I don't think it applies to this situation.

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:04:14 pm

Have you tried testing the playback on another system?
AE doesn't use the graphics card to do any rendering (barring a few third-party effects). If it's a graphics card issue, it has to do with the playback and not the rendering.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:42:47 pm

I see three things that could be amiss:
  • You're not up to date on the updates to AE -- It's at least a version 10.0.2 -- and the weirdness created by your version have just shown up.
  • You're RAM Previews aren't playing back in real time; you can check in the Info panel. An easy way around it it to preview every other frame, Shift-0 (numeric keypad, of course). Also: reduce the comp window resolution to half.
  • You're playing back huge animation-codec off a single hard drive through a viewer and not a RAID. Animation's a great intermediate codec, but not a playback codec. Take the file into the next application, render as necessary, and look at it. You can also render out of AE in the codec preferred by the next application without losing additional quality if you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Josh Booth
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:01:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. But I don't think they have help. I am running AE 10.0.2.4. My RAM preview is playing back in real time and the problem persists at 50% resolutions.

The Animation Quicktime I output is only 10 seconds long. So, I don't think it is choking the system.

The "jitter" is mostly around the edges of the PSD file. And on the text baked into the PSD. Right, now I'm cleaning up the PSD to make sure the edges are nice and neat, but I don't know what to do about text.

Thanks for the input though. I appreciate it!

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:06:56 pm

Actually, I've seen playback of 5-second animation codec videos choke a machine. Uncompressed HD has a very high data rate and usually can't play back smoothly unless the system has a fast RAID setup.

However, since you mentioned that you see the issue in RAM previews as well, that's not your issue.

Have you tried playing a RAM preview of it on another machine? If you don't have AE on another machine, try compressing the video to a playback codec and putting it on another machine and try that.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:15:17 pm

I haven't hear anything about using Motion Blur, either.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Josh Booth
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:19:31 pm

The problem is there with or without Motion Blur. Also I tried putting a soft Guassian Blur on, but no improvement.

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718

Return to posts index

Josh Booth
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:16:55 pm

Rendered out a H.264. Played it back on a different machine same issue is present.

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:33:06 pm

After these suggestions, I'm out of answers:
Double-check AE Preferences and make sure Open GL is turned off for previewing and rendering. Previewing is usually OK, but in this case let's make double-dog sure.

No Joy?

Restore Default AE Preferences. This is from AE's Online Help:
To restore default preference settings, hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while the application is starting. To also restore default keyboard shortcuts, Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the OK button.

I found it here in three seconds by using the search term "default preferences". Searching in help is great. Reading all the help sections is s different kettle of fish.

No Joy?

I'm out of answers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Josh Booth
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:57:45 pm

Dave,
Thanks for the help, but still making now progress. I think I'm going to see if the IT guy can roll the machine back to before I installe Resolve. This started right around then.

Thanks again!

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:35:04 pm

Any chance of a project file?

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Josh Booth
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:36:28 pm

send it to you?

Josh Booth
Animation/Film Director
innis maggiore
4715 Whipple Avenue NW
Canton Oh 44718