ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating 2.5D objects with 3D camera and collapsed transformations

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lenart
Creating 2.5D objects with 3D camera and collapsed transformations
on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:07:19 pm

I am trying to create a "comic book" open for a video I am working on. I am using AE CS5.5 and the problem I keep running into is that once all my comps are in my main comp and I create a new camera then turn on 3d and collapse the layers everything is displaced. I know that collapsing the layers puts all the comps in the same space, but I am going through and masking each comp and within it's mask my layers are displaced.

Here's my work flow: In PS I am making a 2d still with a background and a person in the foreground. I bring that into AE and mask the person creating 2-3 layers. I make these layers 3D and add a camera. Then move them around on the z axis and scale back to look like the original 2d image. This is done in a 1280x720 comp with a 35mm camera.
Then I have a main comp that is 1920x1080. I drop all of the comps into the main comp. I add a 35mm camera and collapse all the comp layers then make them 3d. All the layers in the comps mesh together because of the collapse. I hide all the comps but one and mask that comp. Now within this comps mask is my background and person who is in multiple layers. In the original comp(where I masked body parts and played with the z axis) all body parts are where they should be and have some depth. In the main comp my
head is sitting on my shoulder and my arm is detached from my body.

Anyone know why this is happening and is there a way to fix this? I'd like to be able to move all my comps into a layout like a comic book and then take my camera and move along the layout from comp to comp. This will also be a problem because if I try to move each comps position it also starts to effect the layers in each comp. I'd like to have everyones body stay whole if possible.

Chris

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Creating 2.5D objects with 3D camera and collapsed transformations
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:10:46 pm

Can we have some screenshots and/or a project file? I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing what you're doing.

I don't understand why you're having to mask things in AE. Why not cut your objects up in Photoshop?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris Lenart
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:41:33 pm

Hey Michael
I have the project file for you to look at. I only included a couple of the pics, but you'll get the idea. If you go into the main comp and start to move the camera around or just reposition any of the precomps, you'll start to see body parts detaching.

Your right I could have created the multiple layers in PS but I just knew I could work faster in AE creating the mask.

https://files.me.com/cmlenart/t406k0

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Lenart
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:46:23 pm

Sorry sent a bad link for project. This should work.

https://files.me.com/cmlenart/aw42qn

Chris

Return to posts index

maha mohtaseb
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:35:29 pm

In order for the camera to read the correct depths, do not use masks on layers in your main NOR in your collapsed precomp's layers. This shouldn't be an issue because you can just pre-precomp the masked layer in the precomp. Also make sure:

-in your main comp, there are absolutely no effects applied to any 3d layer. ANY 3d layer with effects needs to be precomped
-also, all of the layers within your collapsed 3d precomp must be 3d. And, again have no effects applied (again, just pre-precomp layers with effects or masks).
-all of your 3d layers in the main should should be consecutive order in the timeline, meaning if you have a 2d adjustment layer and 2d solid layer, the adjustment needs to be at the very top of your timeline, and the solid at the very bottom of your timeline- never sandwiched between 3d layers

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 31, 2012 at 1:35:38 am

You are making this more complicated than it should be. Your workflow in AE should be such -

1) create a single comp for each of your elements. apply masking here but do not mess about with the transforms as you really have no idea where they should be without the other elements in the scene.
2) create a final comp and nest all the comps that contain individual elements. in this final comp, adjust transforms to suit your needs.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]