ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

The MooV File is damaged or unsupported/An Output Module Failed - QUICKTIME ANIMATION CODEC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hillary Leben
The MooV File is damaged or unsupported/An Output Module Failed - QUICKTIME ANIMATION CODEC
on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:06:11 am

After Effects CS5
Mac 10.6.8
32 GB RAM
2 x 2.4 Quad Core

I am attempting to render quicktimes in Animation Codec. I am working in an extra long aspect ratio - 2592x486. Sometimes things render OK, but I've been getting many failed renders. Once on render fails, the entire queue fails as well. I get the error message:

An Output Module Failed The File may be damaged or unsupported.
THEN sometimes I also get the message:
This MooV File is damaged or unsupported (Sometimes I don't get the second error message)

I get these failed renders in very simple comps as well as very complex ones.

-I do not have that currupt plug in that everyone has been talking about (optical flair).
-I have already installed QUicktime 7 and trashed quicktime X.
-I have already tried trashing my preferences.
-I have also tried removing 3rd party quicktime components.

I heard also that people will get htsi problem from reimporting animation quicktimes that they created at large aspect ratios. I thought for sure this was my problem, but I've removed them all and get failures even if there is ONLY a still image on my timeline.

I can render to image sequences but no quicktimes will work.

Desperate! Please - any insight would be really great.

Hillary

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: The MooV File is damaged or unsupported/An Output Module Failed - QUICKTIME ANIMATION CODEC
on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:39:46 pm

Have you updated AE? I believe the latest version of CS5 was 10.0.2

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: The MooV File is damaged or unsupported/An Output Module Failed - QUICKTIME ANIMATION CODEC
on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:02:05 pm

[Hillary Leben] "I can render to image sequences but no quicktimes will work."

I almost always render to image sequences for large format work. Is there a specific reason you don't want to?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:35:02 pm

Thx for the response. I did check to see if there was an update for mac, and it appeared I'm up to date. Perhaps I'll check again.

It's a long show - hour and a half, and it's projection design so the whole show will need to be divided into small chunks - when all is said and done we'll be talking about about a hundred movies on a video playlist. Also - I need audio on these clips and I don't have the time to do two renders.

IF I have to, I will find a way to use image sequence instead, but it puts a dent in my work flow and closer to my deadline I am usually not sleeping as it is!

AM on the phone with Adobe now so I will let you know what they say - so far no clue!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 30, 2012 at 10:59:47 pm

[Hillary Leben] "It's a long show - hour and a half ... IF I have to, I will find a way to use image sequence instead, but it puts a dent in my work flow and closer to my deadline I am usually not sleeping as it is!"

All the more reason in my book to use an image sequence. With image sequences, you can easily pick up a failed render in the event of a crash, or you can easily re-render only a small section of a longer comp if you have to make small changes that only affect a limited number of frames.

AE can stitch an image sequence into a movie just about as fast as it can read from and write to disk, so you may be able to do that as a separate step without too much time penalty.

Apple's Compressor can read image sequences while accepting a separate audio input from a file, so if you can use that, you may not even need the intermediate movie.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:25:37 pm

Yes, it looks like this is how I'll be working. I also found a cool script that makes a folder for each item in the render queue for sequences so I won't have to be set each one individually.

http://www.crgreen.com/aescripts/ie/

Adobe has a research team working on this problem. They are going to call me back.

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:23:37 pm

Hillary,
in the past i have had similar issues with super large renders. Hd and beyond. rendering tiff sequences usually helps, like michael already posted. But one other thing i have found is where things are located on your system. if you have all your media on a usb 2.0 drive that is self powered can cause problems. Also have you check the power management setting on your systems OS. if it senses no activity the power management system kicks in and starts powering down hardware like external drives like usb and firewire.... i know it sounds silly.. but just because you are rendering to the power management system requires mouse and or keyboard activity. also i kept getting corrupt render files when i was writing to my software raid that was on my PC. I found that if i just directed the output file to a firewire drive or a single internal drive this issues would go away... The main reason behind this is something do to the software raid. which i have removed sense then.

Ty

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:58:05 pm

Ty,
Thank you for your post! I am, in fact, working from a self powered drive. Something I don't usually do. Will do some tests and get back to you!

Hillary

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:16:21 pm

:(

I collected files onto my local drive, unplugged external drive.. restarted the machine, and even trashed AE preferences before trying the render again. Same error. I can't believe it!

What can you tell me about RAID, I don't even know what that is!

Hillary

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:54:21 pm

For anyone who is curious -

My openGL settings were not enabled. Incredible how simple that is and three days of work down the toilet.

Things are working now.

Happy rendering people

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:58:54 pm

[Hillary Leben] "My openGL settings were not enabled. Incredible how simple that is and three days of work down the toilet. Things are working now."

That's really bizarre -- OpenGL should almost always be off. See this thread on OpenGL rendering [link] where I discuss why, and where an AE genius and Adobe employee backs me up.

Rendering with OpenGL is a risk. If you do it, make sure you carefully review your output to make sure you're happy with it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:06:55 pm

This is really unfortunate news. They told me because I am working in such a large aspect ratio that I will need to have it ON.

I certainly hope all goes OK, it seems to be the only thing that works.

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:29:49 pm

Ok,
So you were right - I did a test and the render looked like SHIT!

I tried going into the color management and then clicked "Preserve RGB"

Miraculously, this worked! The file looks nice.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:40:21 pm

[Hillary Leben] "I tried going into the color management and then clicked "Preserve RGB." Miraculously, this worked! The file looks nice."

Turning on Preserve RGB essentially disables color management by preventing AE from modifying the RGB values to translate from one color profile to another.

If you're using the OpenGL renderer, I'd still keep an eye on the outputs, especially for 3D and lighting effects. A quick search here on OpenGL should lead you to some of the problems you might encounter using it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:38:19 pm

[Hillary Leben] "This is really unfortunate news. They told me because I am working in such a large aspect ratio that I will need to have it ON."

Unfortunately, that's nonsense. I work with large-format displays around 4K all the time, and I've gone as high as 12K -- all without OpenGL (which actually has a 4K texture limit anyway).

I hope everything works well for you.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:57:08 pm

Thanks.

THere aren't any 3d layers in what I'm doing and no lighting effects either. I would call them back but I've already wasted three days on this and am falling desperately behind!

I will be sure to review things carefully, and I'll do a search about OPenGL.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Joaquín Gallo
on Nov 14, 2012 at 9:27:18 pm

I had the same problem, just Uninstall Flip4Mac WMV Player!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]