ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Would you recommend Twixtor for a professional job, or is it one for the hobbyists?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan HargreavesWould you recommend Twixtor for a professional job, or is it one for the hobbyists?
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 8:01:28 pm

Hey all,

I have an interesting job coming up for which I'm thinking about using Twixtor. Having checked out some of the 'test' footage on YouTube there are certainly some interesting effects it can create, however in many cases the software is far from perfect and results in some obvious artefacting.

It seems the best results depend on careful framing of the subject to keep the subject on a plain background. Even still, it strikes me as a potentially risky thing to do with a project for a paying client, and I may be better off spending the extra cash on hiring in a Phantom, or perhaps more realistically, a Red and settle for 120fps.

So what are people's experiences? Would you recommend it for pro shoot, or leave it for the kids and their free running vanity videos?

Return to posts index

rousselos aravantinosRe: Would you recommend Twixtor for a professional job, or is it one for the hobbyists?
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 8:30:54 pm

I think Twixtor is one of the best plugins for faking high framerate.
Depending the source frame rate /desired output duration, results would vary.
Back in time, Retimer standalone application had a nice feature, where user was able to manually fix
messy retimed frames ... lets hope reelsmart will add such feature in Twixtor.
Locam highspeed film cameras or Phantom video is the real deal.. but Twixtor is a great tool imo.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Would you recommend Twixtor for a professional job, or is it one for the hobbyists?
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:25:54 am

yes, test,test,test.

There's a thousand tweaks to it, plus custom mattes, vectors etc interlaced/deinterlaced. Post in the reelsmart forum to get help from Peter.

remember, below 50%, render out and import again. Don't go 100% to 10% in one pass and expect good results.

try to get as high a fps before you use it. It helps a lot.

Return to posts index

Dylan HargreavesRe: Would you recommend Twixtor for a professional job, or is it one for the hobbyists?
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:44:28 am

Thanks both - particularly on the multiple passes advice, Chris.

I think the way forward is to shoot on Red. At least then if Twixtor doesn't work the way I want it to, the client will still be blown away!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Would you recommend Twixtor for a professional job, or is it one for the hobbyists?
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:35:39 pm

I was in a discussion once with someone who did visual effects on Clash of the Titans. He talked about how they spent a couple of days on one slow motion shot. First they tweaked a lot of settings in the software to slow it down, then they spent some time painting out all the artifacts. You can get a pristine shot in post, it's just a lot easier to get it right in production first! :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Would you recommend Twixtor for a professional job, or is it one for the hobbyists?
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:10:16 pm

Twixtor is nice, but Twixtor Pro includes all the good tools (support for mattes to track objects separately, manual point guidance and manual spline guidance) that help you reduce or eliminate artifacts.

Please note that making the best use of all of these advanced tools will require a lot of painstaking post work.

Shooting with a Phantom will cost more upfront, but will save you time in post.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]