ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Matching Movement of Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raine VivianMatching Movement of Footage
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 1:42:23 am

Im working on a project where I am trying to get a Comp to move over actual footage. I got it to match color, and it looks great in stills, but as soon as the comp moves via key frames, it looks just a little off. I have both comps set to the same setting, and no interlacing on the footage.

Any ideas or tips on how to make movements (via keyframes) match footage movements?
Hope this makes sense, and thank you ahead of time.

-Raine Vivian

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Matching Movement of Footage
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 3:38:05 am

You normally shouldn't try to match moving footage manually. You need to track it. You can try the tracker built in with ae (right-click on a layer in a comp, choose "track footage" etc), or, if the camera is moving a lot, you may want a 3d tracker like syntheyes, or try the Camera Tracker plugin, which runs within ae. A 3D tracker will cost you some money, though...

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Matching Movement of Footage
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:44:12 pm

Depending on the kind of movement you could use Mocha as well- there is a version that comes with AE.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Raine VivianRe: Matching Movement of Footage
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:33:43 am

Sorry, I should have been more specific, but its not a motion tracking problem, as the shot is stand still.

Just something about how my comp is moving via key frames looks different from the actual footage. I don't know if its a interlace thing, or more if it just needs more motion blur or something.

Its not that my comp is not moving with the footage. Its more that the movement that comes from the key frames just looks a little different from movement in the footage.

Hope that clarifies it a bit more. Thanks again.

-Raine Vivian

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Matching Movement of Footage
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:55:51 am

You've got a locked off shot BUT there is movement in certain objects and you want to insert a layer/comp to match the scene. You will do well to track the objects in the screen and apply the result to a Null Object. Then parent your layer/comp to the affected Null layer.

mochaAE/mochaPro are great tools for motion tracking.

If you still think that you need more assistance, then do everyone a favor and post the original video up here and let us know what you want to insert into the scene and what type of movement youwant the inserted object to exhibit.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved