ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After effects 3 error file type avi not supported.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adams MichaelAfter effects 3 error file type avi not supported.
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:16:34 pm

This is just bizarre. I created a project last night and AE was perfectly cool with avi's. I changed nothing that I am aware of. Could it be a codec issue? if so, where do i start? I even reinstalled the program hoping something would default back to what it was. Sucks that hours of work are undone. fortunately didnt lose anything, just the actual edits, transitions, etc.. HELP, please? Im not a complete newbie but this one is beyond my level. thanks to anyone who can help.

Return to posts index

Adams MichaelRe: After effects 3 error file type avi not supported.
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 10:27:42 pm

Okay, guess Im going to answer my own question. I downloaded the directshow mpeg4 codec and it fixed the problem. totally a fluke that i tried that but it miraculously worked! in case someone else has this problem, mibht be worth knowing about!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After effects 3 error file type avi not supported.
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:45:14 pm

I think I know the answer but let's just confirm this. You write, "After effects 3". I bet you actually intended to write CS3. There actually was an AE Version 3 (okay, 3.1), it's now way old far less capable. Yes, it's confusing.

But but AE 3.1 still would have the problem with footage you'll potentially have because you're on CS3. I'm glad you don't (at least not yet), but if you ask me, it's just a matter of time. Here's what I mean:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved