ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE full length video import troubles.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paolo zunigaAE full length video import troubles.
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 6:45:45 pm

Hi, I recently got my hands on AE and I'm trying to figure out if I'm using the program correctly. I have a full length (2 minute) video that I shot and edited in Final Cut. I'd like to add some additional layers for overlays and transitional effects. I imported the entire 2 minute video into AE, but the program isn't very responsive to previewing. Do I need to render the entire video before I even begin with the effects?

When I add an overlay effect, I'd like to preview it and see how it works through the entire video. I'd also like to add some film burn effect during the transitions, but when trying to preview, it just skips too much and I can't really get a sense of how it will actually look.

Is the program not meant for an entire video? Am I weighing down the program? Or is it my computer that can't handle it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE full length video import troubles.
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 6:58:42 pm

I think you're misunderstanding how to do previewing in After Effects. Actually, I think you should really stop and go through some of the basics of how the program works. It is a very different beast from an editing program and it would behoove you to get a decent foundation before you start trying to build things. I would suggest starting here: [link]

If you want to ignore that link (bad idea, you naughty) and get right to previewing in AE, read this: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

paolo zunigaRe: AE full length video import troubles.
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 7:30:12 pm

I really want to learn the program, so I'll go ahead and follow the links for a better understanding. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved