ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Limit an effect to a specified radius, with taper

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin DazetLimit an effect to a specified radius, with taper
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 2:39:00 am

Does anyone know if there's a way to limit an effect on an adjustment layer to a specific position and have it taper over a given radius? I want to accomplish this without using a mask.

An example of what I'd want to achieve with this is to add a simple choker over a line of text and have the choker move across the text, becoming less prominent as it does.

You could compare this to using a moving plain effector with Mograph in Cinema 4D, if you're familiar with that.

The reason for not wanting to use a moving feathered mask on the adjustment layer is that the result would be a blend between 100 percent of the effect and 0 percent (creating an echo or onion-skinning effect), as opposed to a gradual reduction, over a specified radius, of the effect's intensity.

I'm hoping there's a way to do this with expressions, maybe. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Limit an effect to a specified radius, with taper
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 4:40:13 am

Yea, this is a difficulty with adjustment layers.... Any ideas I have all involve multiple adjustment layers, where you would use masks to "feather" the effect; each adjustment layer has a slightly reduced effect. With a simple choker, you could overlap the effect with a minimal choke each time; with other effects you would have to mask the inside and outside of each adjustment layer.

While this is a bit of a pain, you could precomp the adjustment layers and collapse the transformations in the nested comp. And that will make it look a bit neater.....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Kevin DazetRe: Limit an effect to a specified radius, with taper
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 5:06:35 am

Thanks, Ben! I can see how that could work. You're right that it'd be a little messy, but that may be what I'll try. I'll probably parent all of the adjustment layers to a null and move them that way, rather than animating the masks. That'll at least make it a bit cleaner.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has other ideas though, for future reference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved