ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I simulate the motion of a stack of books or objects being dropped on one another? gravity..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul BooneHow do I simulate the motion of a stack of books or objects being dropped on one another? gravity..
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:46:48 pm

Its typography, and I have 10 words stacked horizontally that I want to fall in front the top of the frame and react as if each of the words were a book, and I dropped that stack of books onto the ground, like gravity. Or something like a stack of 2x4 wood, or maybe bricks.

I want there to be an appropriate gravity on the downfall, and then I want a little bit of a bounce when they hit the ground like you'd get when you dropped anything onto the ground. And I would like the objects to react to one another (hopefully), in the same way books would react to one another as the first one hits the ground, 2nd on hits the first, 3rd hits the second etc.

I'm looking at tutorials on expressions, but I know little about them. This sounds pretty complicated. Is it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How do I simulate the motion of a stack of books or objects being dropped on one another? gravity..
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:54:45 pm

I'd shoot a test. I'd get a bunch of books of the appropriate size & weight, and simply drop them one at a time to make the pile.

Then you don't have to guess about the timings. You'll KNOW! You'll have a frame-by-frame record of how books behave in Earth gravity. A hint: they tend to bounce around.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How do I simulate the motion of a stack of books or objects being dropped on one another? gravity..
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 7:00:28 pm

Oh boy, do I have a solution for you: Newton! [LINK]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Paul BooneRe: How do I simulate the motion of a stack of books or objects being dropped on one another? gravity..
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 4:13:48 am

Wow, Newton looks absolutely amazing. I'll try to pitch this one and hope for the best. I saw they have teacher and student prices so I emailed about whether they have a non-profit discount like adobe does. we'll see.

Also, sweet idea about dropping actual books and frame matching. I have a feeling that this is more in our budget

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How do I simulate the motion of a stack of books or objects being dropped on one another? gravity..
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 9:08:23 pm

Michael already gave you the answer - Newton is great at this stuff.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: How do I simulate the motion of a stack of books or objects being dropped on one another? gravity..
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 1:04:06 am

Newton looks pretty clever - though this can be done easily with expressions.

Here are a few tutorials:

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2007/08/gravity-in-after-effects/

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/toula_jesse/Gravity-in-After-Effect...

Here's an expression you can cut/paste:

http://www.motion-graphics-exchange.com/after-effects/Better-Bouncing/4d620...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]