ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Visual Effects : Picture Frames Behind Subject

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin MclaughlinVisual Effects : Picture Frames Behind Subject
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:40:40 am

I am new to Adobe. I have a static shot of a subject walking past a wall full of picture frames. I want to place smaller video inside these frames. I used green paper when shooting, by lighting was uneven.
How do I place these videos to where the subject walks in front of them?
I also have a tracking shot that I am playing around with that encompasses the same principles.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Visual Effects : Picture Frames Behind Subject
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:51:16 pm

If you can't key out the green, you are going to be stuck rotoscoping and masking.

Starting with putting the pictures in the frame, resize and position the video so it covers a frame. Turn off the layers eyeball and use the pen tool to create a mask in the area of the frame you want removed. Now change that mask to a subtraction mask. Place the video insert below the frame layer in the composition and turn back on it's opacity. You could mask the video layer to the frame also, but I prefer this method and set it above the frame but I prefer this method.

For your actor walking in front of the frames, you are going to need to rotoscope him. There are many tutorials on that process:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Visual Effects : Picture Frames Behind Subject
by on Jan 28, 2012 at 3:41:08 am

John's given you some good suggestions. I will add that if the green across all the picture frames cannot be keyed on a single keying routine, then you can perhaps use a mask to break the image into two or more parts and key them separately.

Once the keying is done, you can composite the different keyed parts.

You will also need to track the picture frames to obtain tracking data for your insert elements. This can be done with the original footage. mochaAE or mochaPro will be your best option for tracking.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved