ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best plug-in package? more bang for buck

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul BooneBest plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:54:18 am

Hey, I work for a church and we just got Adobe Production Premium CS5.5

We just have stock effects/presets stuff, but can afford (I hope), some kind of presets collection package. Rather than buying individual ones when needed, I figured if there was a collection where you got a whole lot it would be worth it.

We make graphics in illustrator and Photoshop, and then I animate them in AE. I think we'll do a lot of typography, lower thirds, music videos, and youth videos (which can be anything, but the crazier the better). Animations in and out, speed interpolation (slow-mo), and my personal taste is just anything that's crazy and psychedelic.

I think I got the demo for "Industrial Revolution" plugins for Final Cut Pro that had some cool stuff, most of which I couldn't use. I think I can get away with just one plugin set for a budget, so I want the most useful one that will be best overall.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul BooneRe: Best plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:55:07 am

also, optical flares would be bomb

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Best plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:57:10 am

Boris FX´s Continuum Complete is a pretty good set of plug-ins. It has pretty much everything. http://www.borisfx.com/Adobe/bccae/

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Best plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:56:43 pm

When it comes to bang for the buck instead of plugins, you might want to check out digitaljuice.com - They sell everything, stock projects, stock footage, stock graphics at pretty reasonable prices.

Very few projects where I don't use something(mainly stock footage) I've bought from them.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Best plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 2:09:24 pm

Can't go wrong with Trapcode stuff. Check out Red Giant for all kinds of bundles.

http://www.stephenblacker.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:04:30 pm

Your post is a good way to get a list of bundles, but it may not help you decide which to get.

What is it exactly you're looking to do? It's really tough to pick just one bundle, because they all have different strengths and weaknesses, and they're all appropriate for different sorts of projects.

The good news is that you can download demos for all of them to get a sense for what's possible with each.

General-purpose bundles include:
  • Boris FX Continuum Complete
  • DigiEffects Delirium
  • GenArts Sapphire
  • Noise Industries FxFactory (Mac-only)

More specialized bundles include:
  • DigiEffects Damage (film grunge, bad TV simulation)
  • GenArts Monsters (mostly natural simulation effects, a few time or style effects)
  • Red Giant Magic Bullet Suite (grading/finishing effects)
  • Red Giant Trapcode Suite (includes Particular, Form, Lux, Shine, and others)
  • Red Giant Keying Suite (Primatte and key correction effects)
  • Red Giant Effects Suite (everything else RGS sells that doesn't fit in one of the above)
  • RE:Vision FX Effections (motion estimation time effects, warps, and utility effects)

Of course, many useful plugins are sold a la carte, including Video Copilot's Optical Flares, which you made reference to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:41:36 pm

Wow, these look awesome. There's a lot to choose from. I know that the Red Giant packages that were $500-$800 I'm almost positive are out of our budget. Digital Juice looks like its got a pretty good sale going on in January, so that might be a good option to get a couple of those. Its a bit overwhelming of a decision; Walter, your post is exactly the kind of summary I was looking for. Really helpful. I'll go and get a bunch of demos and compare.

I think typography will be our most common use, but I suppose that could really mean anything, since you can put text into any project, style, or whatever.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Best plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:46:00 pm

Hi,

I think you're right that, unless you have an immediate need for a particular plug-in, it's well worth hanging on for a sale. Some of the plug-in resellers seem to have specials on a fairly regular basis, and it's always nice to pick something up at 40% off!

On a personal note, if I had to choose, the Trapcode suite is the one you'd have a hard job prying out of my hands. I seem to find a use for one of the plug-ins in pretty much every projects - 3D stroke for animated swooshes in an abstract background, Particular for flying through a 3D 'star field' of photos, Form for animated grids used as alpha transitions, a little bit of Shine (keep it subtle!) to make things glow nicely, and Starglow for when the client doesn't want subtle!

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2012 at 6:56:17 pm

wow, the trapcode suite looks awesome... unfortunately that suite is considerably more than the price of the entire CS5.5 Production Premium suite (non-profit license), that I'd been pushing for, so I probably don't have a shot at that. I'll keep note of this because I want it for myself, when I finish my internship.

I'm planning on pitching around $200 total, $250 if there's something that seems really worth it. I might pitch $300 if it really seems like a lot more for the extra, but it would be a stretch. I'll keep checking out sales and free demos

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 8:37:01 pm

[Paul Boone] "I'm planning on pitching around $200 total, $250 if there's something that seems really worth it. I might pitch $300 if it really seems like a lot more for the extra, but it would be a stretch. I'll keep checking out sales and free demos"

You'll be hard-pressed to find a full-featured bundle at that price. Some individual plugins sell for more.

If I were in your position, I'd think long and hard about Johnny's advice to buy some stock elements. If you're doing a lot of typography animations, you might want to spend the money on typefaces.

If you're sure that plugins are the best use of your funding, and money is that tight, I'd try to suffer through a few projects without them. See what sort of work you're doing, see how far you can push the built-in effects, and see what third-party products you could benefit from the most.

If it turns out you're doing a lot more video work than motion graphics, for example, Magic Bullet Looks might be a better fit for you than Trapcode Particular.

Good luck,

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ramil PasibeRe: Best plug-in package? more bang for buck
by on Jan 28, 2012 at 4:36:50 pm

I agree with Walter. I suggest you tackle the first 3 or four projects using only the tools inside AE and Premiere and see what you can come up with. I did a lot of church videos way back and one thing to spice up those coverage would be looping backgrounds.

You might consider particle illusion. (http://www.wondertouch.com/)

It saved me a lot of time back then when I was just starting. The monthly presets is something to look forward to.

Again, I suggest you evaluate your needs first for the first few projects then decide.

Good luck! :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]