ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3.0 Aspect Ratio project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derick Joe
3.0 Aspect Ratio project
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:29:28 pm

I'm looking for some insight on how to create a 3.0 aspect ratio project in After Effects. I'm having to create a motion graphic video for my company which is to be displayed at an event. The event production team has asked me to create my video in a 3.0 aspect ratio so that it fills their screens. I've never done this before and After Effects doesn't seem to have a 3.0 aspect ratio setting. The closest that can get is Anamorphic 2.0 aspect ratio. So my thinking is that I will setup an HD 1920x1080 24fps composition, create my video in it, then create a custom composition with a 3.0 aspect ratio which comes out to be 1920x1282. When I set my dimensions to this, AE tells me my frame aspect ratio is 3.0. I then bring in my Anamorphic comp into the new 3.0 aspect ratio comp and resize it. Is this correct? I appreciate any insight.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: 3.0 Aspect Ratio project
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:37:28 pm

You need to call the event-producers for more detailed specs, aspect ratio, resolution and deliverable. They know what they need, they probably have a form email they can send you with everything you need to know.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:51:24 pm

And, once you get the specs from them, just make your AE comp the size you need. No need to nest comps just to get the right aspect ratio (unless you have assets you've already built).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Derick Joe
on Jan 25, 2012 at 5:59:56 pm

Hey thanks for the advice. My producer is working on getting the more detailed specs, aspect ratio, and resolution. I was hoping to try and get ahead and think through it. I'm glad to hear that it's better to just setup the comp from the beginning instead of having to nest.

-Derick

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 25, 2012 at 6:27:02 pm

Also, pay attention to frame rate in the specs. Only cinema is projected at 24p, and you should make sure to match your frame rate to the projection and playback systems.

For example, 24p displayed at 30p just looks dreadful.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Jan 26, 2012 at 7:50:26 am

I second the others in suggesting you should talk to a technical person who works for your client and get exact requirements.

But mainly I think you're confusing screen aspect ratio and pixel aspect ratio (or quite possibly your client is confusing them).

Screen aspect ratio is the ratio of the dimensions of the physical screen the video is displayed on.

Pixel aspect ratio is the ratio of the dimensions of the individual pixels. If the pixel aspect ratio is anything other than 1:1 it's known as non-square pixels. Anamorphic video uses non-square pixels.

So for example 1920x1080 has 16:9 screen aspect ratio, and 1:1 pixel aspect ratio.
1440x1080 HD has 16:9 screen aspect ratio and 1.33:1 pixel aspect ratio.

Most likely your client is wanting 3:1 screen aspect ratio because they have a screen 3 times as wide as it is tall. So you should use 1:1 pixel aspect ratio, and find out the dimensions of the screen. It could be 3000x1000 or something entirely different. It may also use non-square pixels in which case you REALLY need to talk to someone who knows exactly.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Derick Joe
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:26:18 pm

Jon,

I was getting pixel and screen aspect ratio confused and understand now what you're saying. My producer is visioning the video we're making to cover the entire screen at the event; therefore, we were needing to make our video in the 3:1 screen aspect ratio. The event production team is now telling us to keep it 16:9. I appreciate all of the feedback everyone has given on this board and thanks again for clearing up my confusion.

One more question for you, Jon. So is the only reason to use a square or non-square composition solely dependent upon the format of the video you're using? If I recall, HDV is 1440x1080 correct? Therefore if a majority of your video was shot in HDV then you would work in a non-square comp and if your video was all graphics within AE then you would use a square pixel 1920x1080 comp? Am I correct in assuming why you would use a square vs non-square comp?

-Derick

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Jan 28, 2012 at 5:23:12 am

As a general rule you should use whatever format you're mastering onto. So if you shoot in HDV, but are delivering in 1920x1080, you should use 1920x1080 in AE.

If you correctly interpret (via Interpret Footage dialogue box) your footage, AE will scale everything so it fits together.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]