ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Why is AE making text from a .mov jaggedy?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny MulenWhy is AE making text from a .mov jaggedy?
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:49:58 pm

I worked in Premiere on a video where the text is contained in PNG files built in Photoshop (so theyre really images). The .MOV video looks great being exported from Premiere. When the MOV is in an AE composition howeve, the text is disgustingly jaggedy the instant its placed (yes even after render):

After Premiere:

After AE:

What the heck is going on here?! I have to deliver this soon!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Why is AE making text from a .mov jaggedy?
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:03:40 pm

my best guess is that you're working with a frame size and frame rate that is commonly interlaced, but you are working with it as progressive and you are exporting/rendering to a codec that does not contain the data on whether the footage is progressive or interlaced and ae is taking a guess... and guessing wrong.

you can override ae's guess by selecting the footage in the project window and chooseing file>interpret footage>main and setting the 'separate fields' option to 'none'.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Danny MulenRe: Why is AE making text from a .mov jaggedy?
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:16:21 pm

You're absolutely right, that fixed it. Thanks!

How can I export from Premiere next time to avoid this issue? I was selecting Quicktime from Premiere with the Apple ProRes LT codec.

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Why is AE making text from a .mov jaggedy?
by on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:17:55 am

AE has default rules for interpretation of imported files. I believe one of those rules is that if footage comes in at 29.97fps, 720x480 pixels (for instance), it will assume the footage originated as DV, and thus has fields, lower-field first. There are a number of these interpretation rules.

There is a file called "interpretation rules.txt" -- I can't remember off hand where it is located. Either with your app, or with your preference files. You can alter this to your heart's delight! (But make a copy first.....)

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved