ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Axis Modes not rotating as expected

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg DiGenti3D Axis Modes not rotating as expected
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 4:59:55 pm

I have a 3D layer that I would like to be able to rotate on its own x, y & z axis, only it's not behaving as expected.

I'm in Local Axis Mode, but when I rotate the layer a little on its z axis, if I then try to rotate it on its x axis, it rotates based on the world axis instead of on its own x axis. Same with the y axis. It behaves exactly the same when I change it to World Axis Mode, too.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some way of changing modes besides just clicking the Local Axis Mode icon so its highlighted? It's driving me nuts, because controlling a layer in 3D is almost impossible this way, and I don't remember AE working like this in the previous versions.

I'm on a Windows computer using AE 10.0.2.4 (latest update for CS5).

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Greg DiGentiRe: 3D Axis Modes not rotating as expected
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:16:48 pm

I notice that by using the rotate tool (rather than rotating using the x, y & z rotate settings within the layer) and rotating it by hand, that the layer rotates as expected... but that the actual rotate settings seem to be based on the world axis mode either way.

Meaning, if a 3D layer has been rotated on its Z axis and I use the Rotate Tool to rotate it on its X axis, the settings for x, y AND z change while I'm doing it, rather than just x as I would expect.

Is this just how AE works?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3D Axis Modes not rotating as expected
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:43:49 pm

[Greg DiGenti] "Meaning, if a 3D layer has been rotated on its Z axis and I use the Rotate Tool to rotate it on its X axis, the settings for x, y AND z change while I'm doing it, rather than just x as I would expect."

You can select the layer, tap the R key to reveal its rotation properties, then scrub the X Rotation value directly to change X rotation without changing Y rotation.

For more natural animation, you might consider setting the Rotate tool to adjust the orientation property rather than the rotation property.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:18:51 pm

Thanks for the response, but I guess my original explanation was a bit unclear, because that's exactly what I was trying to say that I was doing, only with a result I wasn't expecting.

And let's not worry about "natural animation" for the particular issue, because I'm not animating anything, I'm trying to have more precise control over placement and angle of 3D layers in a scene.

Basically, when I tap the R key and make an adjustment to the z rotation of a 3D layer, then the other two rotation values no longer behave the way I expect them to. Rotating it on its x axis now follows the WORLD AXIS and not the LAYER AXIS (try this yourself and you should see what I'm talking about).

But I think that's just how AE works, as I mentioned in my follow-up post. That the actual rotation values of a 3D layer are based on world coordinates, not its own rotation values. So in order to rotate an object around it's own x axis once its z rotation value has been changed, then AE must make adjustments to ALL of the axes.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3D Axis Modes not rotating as expected
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:23:37 pm

[Greg DiGenti] "Thanks for the response, but I guess my original explanation was a bit unclear, because that's exactly what I was trying to say that I was doing, only with a result I wasn't expecting."

Sorry I misunderstood!

[Greg DiGenti] "But I think that's just how AE works... the actual rotation values of a 3D layer are based on world coordinates, not its own rotation values. So in order to rotate an object around it's own x axis once its z rotation value has been changed, then AE must make adjustments to ALL of the axes."

Yes.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kian McKellarRe: 3D Axis Modes not rotating as expected
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:26:55 pm

Is there a way to adjust the axis and have it rotate around a new axis? I ask because I am trying to make some bars flip or swing into the screen. It is easy enough when they are horizontal or vertical to the world axis but if you are doing them at an angle it can be cumbersome. I can sometimes nest the items horizontally, adjust them and insert the comp into my project but it is frustrating.

screenshot2012-01-31at3111.22.21am.png

Return to posts index

by on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:26:58 pm

This is a different issue than the one I was describing, but when trying to control multiple objects I usually put a null into the scene where I want the objects to pivot around, and parent them to it. Then I just rotate the null. If you're just trying to change the anchor point of one object, just hit the "Y" key to get the Pan Behind tool and simply grab the anchor point and move it to where you want it to pivot around.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]