ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

shatter effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ilan eranshatter effect
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:04:08 pm

while trying to use the shatter effect, after putting it on the JPG,the central circle turns into tranparent, and the sides show the picture, and the effect doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: shatter effect
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:27:14 pm

[ilan eran] "while trying to use the shatter effect, after putting it on the JPG,the central circle turns into tranparent, and the sides show the picture, and the effect doesn't work."

Sounds like it is working, and you're seeing the result after Shatter has blown a hole through the center of your image.

Have you read the documentation on the Shatter effect [link]? In addition to a description of how the effect works, there are a lot of useful links on that page.

If I've misunderstood, posting a screenshot might help us understand what you're seeing.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

ilan eranRe: shatter effect
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:19:54 pm

thanks, if the effect is working, how can I see the blow?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: shatter effect
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:29:21 pm

There are some tutorials on the cow that might help you out understanding shatter, this first one is quite old, but will help you grasp the basics:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/unguren_ben/shatter.php

As to your question, shatter defaults with the force(the thing that makes the layer explode-it's like a wrecking ball) right in the middle of your layer. To unexplode your layer you need to move that force either forward or backward, off the layer.

Using the pulldown and changing it to wireframe + forces will help you see what's going on.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: shatter effect
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:44:54 pm

Shatter effect is a great effect, but isn't a quick effect. Definitely look at the tutorials that others have posted. I got frustrated the first time I tried to use it but once I got my head around it, I use it quite often. The controls can get pretty deep.

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7
After Effects CS5