ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Good graphics card for AE CS5.5? (Mac)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Art LeeGood graphics card for AE CS5.5? (Mac)
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 12:04:32 am

Hi - I am getting an upgrade to AE CS 5.5 and have the option of upgrading the graphics card as well. Have heard that there are recommended cards from Adobe, the AE specs site just says display card drivers that support OpenGL 2.0

Current card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, if there's not much advantage to be gained from upgrading the card I wont bother, but will if it will make a big difference to performance. Any recommendations?

Model Name: Mac Pro
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Good graphics card for AE CS5.5? (Mac)
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 12:44:53 am

After Effects doesn't significantly benefit from the graphics card. OpenGL is flakey in AE and most users disable it.

If you use other applications, like Premiere Pro or a 3D app that uses OpenGL, you'll see a speed gain there, but not for AE.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Good graphics card for AE CS5.5? (Mac)
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 3:37:55 pm

I would not worry too much about the card- like Brian said AE does not really like OpenGL to the point where even Adobe does not recommend using it. Unless you plan to use 3d plugins like FreeForm Pro, ShapeShifter AE or Invigorator Pro, upgrading the card will not help. Even if you do, since you're on a Mac, to get a card that will make a significant difference for those plugins will be expensive - on a PC even a $150 card will offer improvement.
I would get more RAM if you got the budget, max out your machine and that will significantly improve AE performance!

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris BobotisRe: Good graphics card for AE CS5.5? (Mac)
by on Jan 25, 2012 at 7:43:22 pm

On the Mac the GTX series by NVIDIA is the best bang for the buck right now. Get a card with as much VRAM as your budget will allow.

RAM and fast disk(s) help too - especially with 5.5 now that the AE team has changed the caching scheme fast disks help quite a bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved