ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Removing color banding...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis heberlingRemoving color banding...
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 5:55:31 pm

Hey everyone!

My client wants an Apple style video, but the footage I have has a bit of banding or zebra stripes on his suit.

Is there a proper way of removing this issue?

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Removing color banding...
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:52:21 pm

What you're seeing on his suit is called "moiré" -- there are a lot of methods for removing it. I like to isolate the area and add a bit of a blur to it. Do a google search for After Effects and moire.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Removing color banding...
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 7:01:03 pm

That is more commonly referred to as Moiréé_pattern

The term "Zebra" is used to describe the overlay that is sometimes used to indicate "out of legal" brightness or colors in a camera viewfinder (or similar places).

To avoid moire in the future, test wardrobe to make sure that it does not have a pattern to cause the moire'

In the meantime, it can be corrected using a low pass filter,, that removes the higher frequency detail from the image.

In after effects the "low pass" filter is also called FAST BLUR or GAUSSIAN BLUR. :)

To fix the moire, create an adjustment layers and add FAST BLUR, and adjust just high enough that the moire disappears. THEN use a mask on the adjustment layer to constrain the blur to the area needed.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Removing color banding...
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 7:42:29 pm

You can also try a Remove Grain filter- it worked for me quite a few times. You will need to play with the settings a bit. Changing the frame from where the samples are taken and the way it affects solid areas will help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

travis heberlingRe: Removing color banding...
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 2:50:24 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved