ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing color banding...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
travis heberling
Removing color banding...
on Jan 22, 2012 at 5:55:31 pm

Hey everyone!

My client wants an Apple style video, but the footage I have has a bit of banding or zebra stripes on his suit.

Is there a proper way of removing this issue?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Removing color banding...
on Jan 22, 2012 at 6:52:21 pm

What you're seeing on his suit is called "moiré" -- there are a lot of methods for removing it. I like to isolate the area and add a bit of a blur to it. Do a google search for After Effects and moire.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Jan 22, 2012 at 7:01:03 pm

That is more commonly referred to as Moiré

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moiré_pattern

The term "Zebra" is used to describe the overlay that is sometimes used to indicate "out of legal" brightness or colors in a camera viewfinder (or similar places).

To avoid moire in the future, test wardrobe to make sure that it does not have a pattern to cause the moire'

In the meantime, it can be corrected using a low pass filter,, that removes the higher frequency detail from the image.

In after effects the "low pass" filter is also called FAST BLUR or GAUSSIAN BLUR. :)

To fix the moire, create an adjustment layers and add FAST BLUR, and adjust just high enough that the moire disappears. THEN use a mask on the adjustment layer to constrain the blur to the area needed.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 22, 2012 at 7:42:29 pm

You can also try a Remove Grain filter- it worked for me quite a few times. You will need to play with the settings a bit. Changing the frame from where the samples are taken and the way it affects solid areas will help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

travis heberling
on Jan 26, 2012 at 2:50:24 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]