ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating a slideshow to music

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tara OdorizziAnimating a slideshow to music
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:34:35 am

Basically I'm trying to create a fancy version of an animated gif. I have about 100 images, and I need to pause on certain images (plus add hyperlinks if possible), and I also would like to incorporate music.

I started out using Photoshop, but these images are big and quite high resolution, and I'd like for them to stay at their full there's no way to add the music and links I'd like to include.

A friend suggested After Effects, but I'm having a hard time cutting the music the way I'd like to. I've been reading through the forums and I read that Premiere Pro is better for editing music...but I have no video, only still images.

What program would be best to use? I'm afraid I'm extremely new to both After Effects and Premiere Pro. Can you recommend some tutorials that would apply? I've hunted around and watched a few, but it's hard to know what to search for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: Animating a slideshow to music
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 3:49:00 am

I'd use Premiere Pro. You can bring still images into Premiere Pro at a defined duration, and for certain ones you want to pause longer you can simply lengthen their duration. Plus you'll have an easier time setting it to thing I don't like with After Effects is having to RAM Preview to hear audio.

My Blog

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animating a slideshow to music
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 3:26:15 pm

You can do an audio preview in AE by pressing the . key on the numeric keypad. Then, when the audio is playing, you can press the * key on the numeric keypad to drop markers. If no layer is selected, it will create composition markers. If a layer is selected, it will create layer markers on it.

That said, I think doing this project in Premiere first would be a better idea. If you wanted to do some really fancy transitions or particle effects, you could always just import the Premiere project into AE.

Although, if you're wanting to add interactivity (hyperlinks, etc.) you'll want this to be in Flash - not a video at all.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved