ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
patrick jansen-thisComp.rotation?
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:47:49 pm

I thought this would be easy but it’s not working. I created a 50×50 stickfigure shape C and placed it in a 200×200 comp B at the top. Then i place comp B 6x in a 200×200 comp A and rotated each +60 degrees. So you get this

but instead of having each stickfigure rotated according to the manual rotation, I tried rotating them “back” (so they’re all upright) by attempting to read in that manual rotation -> (in the subclip B rotating it “back”) by setting C rotation value to expression -thisComp.rotation but it’s not working. Result should be like this but isn't

Am i missing something? is this not possible?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: -thisComp.rotation?
by on Jan 22, 2012 at 4:18:56 am

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do but if you want the value you enter in the rotation property to carry into the expression then just put "value+" at the beginning of the expression. Another thing that might be throwing a wrench in the works is that your expression is for the comp, not the layer, which may be a problem but it's hard to say since your goal is unclear.

Return to posts index

Dan EbbertsRe: -thisComp.rotation?
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:51:41 am

That will only work if each comp B was created by duplicating the comp (in the project bin), not the comp B layer in comp A. Each comp B needs a unique name (like "comp B1", "comp B2", etc.). Then you could do it with an expression like this:

-comp("comp A").layer(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved