ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Make wiggle expression stop without "jumping"?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Horler
Make wiggle expression stop without "jumping"?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:05:36 pm

I have a small animation which relies on keyframing and a wiggler expression to move about 20 small circles around a screen. As they pass through a certain area, the circles should stop dead in their tracks.

However, I haven't worked out how to make the wiggler expression (which controls the anchor point) stop without it jumping back to it's original anchor point of 250,250 (which creates an awful 'jumping' effect over the course of one or two frames).

Example code:

wiggleSpeed = transform.position.speed*100

if (wiggleSpeed > 400) //just makes sure wiggle isnt too quick
{
wiggle(1.5,400);
}

else if (wiggleSpeed < 0.1) //stops wiggle

{value;}

else

{wiggle(1.5 //slows wiggle as speed decreases
,wiggleSpeed);
}

Now this code looks rather complicated, but the same issue persists even if I use a really basic form. I think the problem is how it reacts with the Anchor Point when it stops.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Make wiggle expression stop without "jumping"?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:11:29 pm

Have you considered using an expression control slider to control the speed of the wiggle? That would give you manual control and you could ease into the stop position by keyframing, which may be smoother.

Return to posts index

David Horler
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:37:43 pm

Thank you, that definitely works and solves my problem, although that is not an ideal solution as it will be time consuming to copy all that to my dozens of existing shapes. Ah well, time to crack on with it.

Thanks again, if anybody has further ideas I would be happy to hear.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:03:57 pm

If I understand what you are trying to do, you should be able to just create a "control" layer that holds the expression control slider and just link one of your layers wiggle speed to it and then, with the position value of the layer selected go to Edit>Copy Expression Only and select all of the other layers position values (select all of the layers and hit "P" to reveal position property and marquee select them all) and then paste. Then they will all be linked to that one controller.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jan 24, 2012 at 1:50:58 pm

[David Horler] " that is not an ideal solution as it will be time consuming to copy all that to my dozens of existing shapes"

You should look into using the Copy Expression Only command found under the Edit Menu. Simply select the property with the Expression. Then select Edit>Copy Expression Only. Now select all the layers that should incorporate this new Expression and Paste (CTRL+V).

Layers that have identical properties but with the old Expression will have their Expression script updated. Layers with identical properties but without an Expression will now contain the new Expression.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]