ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Need Assistance With Strobing Edges On Speed Changes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BeardNeed Assistance With Strobing Edges On Speed Changes
by on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:47:27 pm

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can offer up some help on how to fight this issue I'm having. So I'm working with some RED One footage. I have this one shot that is a dolly move from right to left, shot at 48fps, 1/120 shutter, in a 23.976 time base. The clip is fine as shot, but the client would like me to speed it up so the image matches the script a little better. When I attempt to speed this clip up, the edges of the apples start to strobe. Is there anything I can do to smooth this out in AE? watch sample here

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Need Assistance With Strobing Edges On Speed Changes
by on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:19:33 pm

That looks to be our old nemesis, judder. Judder has been the bane of cinematographers since the dawn of the motion picture. There is nothing much you can do about that. It has to do with the speed things are moving. Horizontal motion is a beast. Watch the opening shot to Cowboys and Aliens, there is a surprising amount of judder in it for a major motion picture (at least there was in the cinema when I watched it).
Different DP's have different methods to get the shot a director wants without having there be judder. Certain pan speeds will get by without judder, other speeds will judder.

You can try adding some horizontal blur to see if it helps.

Is there any way in the edit you could get by without actually speeding up the footage? Cross fade between shots? Come into the shot at a different point? Leave the shot at a different point?

This page [link] has some more information on dealing with judder in motion graphics that may help you.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved