ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Difference Mode with Color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry SuydamDifference Mode with Color
by on Jan 19, 2012 at 5:23:33 pm

I have white text over a horizontally split background of white and blue. What I am trying to accomplish is if the portion of text is over the white background it is blue and if the portion of text is over the blue background it is white...difference..only works with a black background any suggestions help would be awesome.

Return to posts index

Paul RoperRe: Difference Mode with Color
by on Jan 19, 2012 at 5:48:38 pm

I would just create an adjustment layer above your text with the Channel > Invert effect applied to it, and a matte added to crop just the top (or bottom) half of the adjustment layer. Try changing the type of invert (YIQ or Quadrature Chrominance, anyone?) in the effect settings; there are all kinds of effects you can create.

It's also worth noting that shift+ and shift- cycle through the blending modes - can save a lot of mousing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Difference Mode with Color
by on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:26:07 pm

I'd do it using two track mattes, with black & white stripes positioned precisely as the current background. Then duplicate the text layers to make two: one blue, one white. Position one text layer over the other, parent one text layer to the other, layer the track mattes appropriately, and you're off to the races.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved