ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding a waving motion to a group of distributed layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Johnson
Adding a waving motion to a group of distributed layers
on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:36:30 pm

Howdy folks - what do you suppose would be the easiest way to achieve this:

I have about 50 identically sized images that I will distribute in a grid formation across the screen. I'd like to generate a subtle waving motion across the entire grid, like a gentle flag waving without distorting the images themselves, which is to say, like a row of people in a stadium doing "the wave", progressively adjusting the Z position forward then back.

Thanks for any help!
Kurt

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
Re: Adding a waving motion to a group of distributed layers
on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:55:58 pm

Animate them all at the same time with the movement you want, then offset the keyframes using sequence layers, perhaps?

http://www.stephenblacker.com

Return to posts index

Avrohom Kohn
on Jan 19, 2012 at 5:50:42 pm

Trapcode has a plugin called Echospace which does just that: it lets you set repeat motions and distribute layers in any direction. I know you have to pay some money for it but I thought it's worth a mention. I set up a shot that required hundreds of layers offset in 3D space. So I used Echospace to replicate my layer, than, using the option button while dragging an identically-sized layer to the new copies, I was able to set up a complex animation with ease. Here's the video I'm talking about:

You will see the 3D layers about half way through.

Avrohom

Return to posts index

Kurt Johnson
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:22:58 pm

Thanks for the replies, folks - I have access to Echospace, so it seems like that will be the way to go. I'll head in that direction first. Thanks!

Kurt

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:37:29 pm

There's also this very cool tutorial [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kurt Johnson
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:57:08 pm

Michael, thank you so much for this. This is the approach I've settled on. I tried the Echospace thing - easy to replicate the grid, not easy to generate a fluid waving motion in the manner I wanted. But this tutorial came as close as I needed to get. Thanks again!

Kurt

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 20, 2012 at 9:38:30 pm

No problem. I love this sort of solution. It's so beautifully elegant.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kurt Johnson
on Jan 20, 2012 at 9:43:01 pm

Oh sure, me too, but it's so far over my head it's almost below again. I'd have better luck trying to sequence my own DNA than i would coming up with something like this. And that's really the nature of this stuff. Whole lotta standing on shoulders going on...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]