ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Export Codec question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc LucasExport Codec question
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 12:19:29 pm

I used to export out of AE by just using the default animation codec, I quickly started exporting as ProRess but when You export as ProRes you don't get the alpha channel, hope thats right. What other alternative codec, and less file size, would be suitable if I'm going to be using the files in a 720P FCP timeline using a ProRes timeline?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Export Codec question
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:57:07 pm

Animation codec can carry an alpha channel (use the Lossless + Alpha output module).

If you're working with a ProRes timeline in FCP, you should render to ProRes from AE to avoid having to render in FCP. If you need alpha, consider using ProRes 4444.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Export Codec question
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:48:10 pm

Walter's right about ProRes 4444 -- it's dandy. But you need FCP 7 on the same machine as AE to access it, and it isn't present in FCP 6.

If either of those apply to you, you have options, but you'll have to render in FCP. As one of those options, consider QT's PNG codec, which also supports alpha channels, is lossless and is 10-bit like ProRes. If you have good-sized areas of opacity or semi-opacity in the comp, file sizes will be smaller than the Animation codec. For something like an animated lower-third, with a large area of transparency, Animation codec file sizes can be downright economical in comparison to PNG.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Export Codec question
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:10:45 pm

The prores codecs can be downloaded here:

Return to posts index

hosein alfaRe: Export Codec question
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:54:03 pm

1 > lossles with alfa
2 > Quick time > check item alfa render

Return to posts index

Marc LucasRe: Export Codec question
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:28:32 pm

Still on FCP 6 as my working machine haven't done any project's on X yet:-)

So I take it Dave that the Animation Codec is only really big in size when there is next to any transparency in the render opposed to say the PNG option where even though there is transparency the file comparably would be larger than the Animation Codec.
I'm not fused about having to render anything in the FCP timeline because I only use AE occasionally with one of my current workflows.
Thanks for the replies!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved