ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Another 3D MindChallenge

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen joaquinAnother 3D MindChallenge
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 4:17:06 pm

Hi, it's me again with another MindChallenge for AE, Last time i wanted to do a 3D bend(Rings) wich actually lucked me with Shape Shifter. but this time i got a different problem.

I want to make some gears spin around themselfs in 3D position, and even though i can do the movement perfectly and the position i have a a problem. The first layer has transparency over the 2 layer. Wich shoulnd't here's an screenshot so u can get what i mean.

http://i44.tinypic.com/35akh9c.png

I'm totally out of ideas, i even tryed exporting from Cinema 4D goin through Photoshop saving (PSD) file and importing into AE making it 3D but the same problem remains..

What i want it's to make thoese gears spin around themselfs, and probably but an image or a light source in 3D inside.

Should i use another software to archieve this effect? Or is there any way to do it in AE.

And Here's the proyect with my attempt at doing so.

http://www.multiupload.com/DPZ0RF9ERQ

Thanks a lot for your help and time Again!!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Another 3D MindChallenge
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 4:33:24 pm

that's a common issue with ae and 3d plugins... in ae, there's ae 3d space and plugin 3d space. when you use a 3d plugin on a 2d layer, in ae's mind the layer is still 2d, so it obeys layer order -- top most layer is always in front.

you might be able to make those 2d layers 3d (click the 3d layer switches) so ae sees them as 3d layers, and then animate the layer positions to get one in front of the other in ae's 3d space.

this can start to get kind of tweaky though. enabling auto orient towards the camera for those layer can often help, but things don't always work as expected.

another option is to duplicate one layer and place the other layer between the duplicate layers. this way the duplicate layer is always in front and behind the middle layer. then you simply trim the duplicates to make it look like it revolves around the other layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Allen joaquinRe: Another 3D MindChallenge
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 5:27:29 pm

I kinda get what u're saying, but then i would have like infinite trimmed duplicates depending of the movement i'm doing with the camera right?! And what about if i ever want to re-start and change the movement i would need to re-trim every single duplicate again. would take me like for ever this way...

Isin't there any other option or "path" i could take.? Making the Layer 3D it's not possible since it ...

I tryed ever possible way i know but nothing helps soo frustrating xD!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Another 3D MindChallenge
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 6:07:26 pm

the problem is that ae is not a 3d app.

since you have c4d, and it sounds like you already create a gear in that, you should probably just create the animation in c4d. it sounds like c4d could easily handle this.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Another 3D MindChallenge
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:02:52 pm

Zaxerks Invigorator Pro can help you here.
Since you can link a 3d object to a AE 3d layer, you can have flat images of your gears (2d layers in 3d space) setup in the positions you wanted and then animate them. After this you need to bring in your 3d models of the gears in Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro and link them to their corresponding 3d layers in AE,

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:22:24 pm

Could u Please, do a simple proyect and leave it to download.. i don't really understand what u mean, never used Zaxerks Invigorator Pro :S

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:38:50 pm

Sorry nvm i just saw some tutorials about it, i'll give it a try Thnx

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:23:13 pm

Sorry i still can't figure out how to do what you told. me... even if it makes the layer 3D i still have the same problem with the layers..

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Another 3D MindChallenge
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:16:10 pm

With Zaxwerks, you can have 8 different sets within the same instance of the effect.

You'd have to put both gears in the same layer and same instance of Invigorator, but in different Invigorator sets.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2012 at 10:44:25 pm

YES! Thanks a lot i did it!

Here's the result:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>