ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

DUIK rig to animate hand? dog?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sergio juyakDUIK rig to animate hand? dog?
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:52:37 pm

I'm trying to use DUIK to animate a hand and a dog, and I'm running into a problem because the script doesn't support more than 3 joints. And the human finger seems to have at least 4, as well as a dog's leg which articulates at four joints. Has anyone found a workaround or solution for this kind of problem?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: DUIK rig to animate hand? dog?
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:58:31 am

unless you are talking about alien hands and dogs, all you need is 3 joints, the rest is parenting. I presume you followed the tutorials on their website.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

sergio juyakRe: DUIK rig to animate hand? dog?
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 9:36:46 pm

Thank you for responding.

I am talking about earth dogs. Dogs don't run flat-footed, so their foot/paw articulates and touches the ground at the ball of the foot,instead of the ankle. This means I have one more joint. The same goes for hands. I count 3 digits per finger plus 1 that goes the the wrist. (here is my dog. Note how the controller is located at the shin instead of the paw.)

I have followed the tutorials and have been working with this rig to animate human characters for a month now. I think i'm just running into a limitation of the script. I'm starting to understand why people use Maya to animate things seemingly as simple as southpark.

Return to posts index

Kevin KowaRe: DUIK rig to animate hand? dog?
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 5:34:18 am

Im Having the same problem here. Im trying to find a way to connect multiple joints by playing with the expressions, but really cant solve it, (trying to rig a dragon... Really bad idea.)

Where you able to find a way to do this Sergio juyak???

Good luck!

Return to posts index

sergio juyakRe: DUIK rig to animate hand? dog?
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 7:57:45 pm

No. I personally lost a lot of time fiddling around with this tool. I think it depends on your needs, but in some cases I think you need a dedicated 3d app for this kind of thing.

Return to posts index

Pedro ValenciaRe: DUIK rig to animate hand? dog?
by on Sep 2, 2014 at 10:35:59 pm

I have rigged plenty of dogs, humans, etc. the trick is how you build it, for a dog leg you need to separate in 3 parts and use ik on the top and middle one, then you parent the paw to the middle section and connect the paw's rotation to the ik controller, that way when you rotate the controller the paw rotates too. screenshot2014-09-03at10.32.39am.png here is how to build the leg

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved