ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Inverse 3D Stabilization?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Inverse 3D Stabilization?
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:26:02 pm

I was wondering if it was possible to stabilize a shot in 3D using something like Syntheyes, and then export that 'stabilized' camera to After Effects so you have a locked off plate -- and then Pre-Comp that and use a 3D camera that is the 'inverse' of the 'stabilized' camera in order to get the real camera motion back. That way you can work in a stabilized composition. I'm talking about the same technique that is over at Mamoworld, using Mocha Corner Pin data to create an undistorted PreComp.

http://www.mamoworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78%3A...

The only difference is that I'm talking about using 3D matchmove data for the stabilize, rather than Mocha's 2D data. The reason is, for certain kinds of things like clean plate creation and such, that have extreme perspective changing, sometimes Mocha's 2.5D Planar tracking doesn't quite do the trick.

I could've sworn I came across a Syntheyes tutorial at one point that was about doing a technique similar to this, but I can't seem to find it anyway.

Appreciate any ideas! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
Re: Inverse 3D Stabilization?
on Jan 19, 2012 at 7:34:36 pm

Hi Dustin,
We are working on some interesting things for future mocha releases.

I was wondering if you could provide me with an example of a clip or two where mocha is not giving you desired results for stabilization?

We'd love to see some real world examples and do some tests.

Please email me at: mocha(at)imagineersystems(dot)com

Thanks!
Ross

Imagineer Systems

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Dustin Bowser
on Jan 22, 2012 at 9:50:50 pm

Hey Ross!

Thanks for responding, it's cool that the software makers jump on here and reply personally.

It's not necessarily a matter of Mocha not giving me the stabilization that I want -- It's more about that sometimes shots already have matchmove data, so it would be nice to just use that and then composite in 3D using a '3D stabilized' comp, and then reapply the 3D camera motion to get motion that was shot back.

My thought is that, it would work the same as working with Undistorted Precomps with Mocha's corner pin stabilization, except that I would be able to use After Effects 3D capabilities as well to add in elements into their proper place in 3D using the matchmove data, and then it would stick properly.

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:07:50 pm

You should be able to create an expression to "invert" the 3D tracking keyframe data, but for a practical 3D stabilize that you describe, would imagine that you'd have to do many separate pre-comps depending on the scene and your goals.

It is a good idea and I believe that we will be able to do something like this in the future.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Les Candle
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:20:10 am

Dustin - did you come up with a SynthEyes solution?

What you seem to want is the technique they used for 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. Stabilized with SynthEyes data in AE (I think for a lot of the car footage).

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/node/16615

I'm investigating this myself now. I shoot with a RED camera and don't want to render in SynthEyes, but only for final output. It's been suggested that I:

"Export camera movement both with, and without the stabilization, import both solutions into 3d package, and (trying to be nonspecific to a program here) parent a plane with the footage on it to the unstabilized camera, and use the stabilized camera as your main camera."

So, curious if you've had any luck with this and gotten down the learning curve a bit??

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]