ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is It possible to have part of a mask feathered while part of it is sharp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
miles blowIs It possible to have part of a mask feathered while part of it is sharp?
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 12:45:56 pm

Hi guys
just wondering if its possible to make part of a mask feathered like the shadow of a building on the ground ,but at the the very base of the billing give it a sharp edge....I know ya can do it with another mask...but if you could do it on the one it would make the project a lot neater.
Thanks
Miles

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Is It possible to have part of a mask feathered while part of it is sharp?
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:46:20 pm

Sorry, it takes two masks. I don't know how it would be neater to use just one, because you'd have to designate which part of the mask is sharper than the other. It sounds like just as much work to me as creating two masks.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Is It possible to have part of a mask feathered while part of it is sharp?
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 7:13:00 pm

I don't know how it would be neater to use just one, because you'd have to designate which part of the mask is sharper than the other. It sounds like just as much work to me as creating two masks.

Among other things, variable edge feathering allows you to have gradual transitions from sharp to fully feathered, which is particularly useful for objects that are partly in focus and partly out of focus. Gradual transitions in feather-width are difficult to do using multiple masks, but trivially simple in Mocha.

Using multiple masks is good for multiple portions of an object that move independently (i.e. arms/body/head), but being able to adjust edge feathering should require multiple masks, especially when feathering is a feature that needs to be animated to match blur/focus issues.

An additional advantage of Mocha is that masks can auto-track object movement.

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Is It possible to have part of a mask feathered while part of it is sharp?
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:11:12 pm

Mocha allows you to do this - if you want to use a Mocha mask with variable edge feathering, then you need to use the MOCHA SHAPE plug-in inside After Effects. Mocha shape is free with Mocha AE 2.6.

Return to posts index

miles blowRe: Is It possible to have part of a mask feathered while part of it is sharp?
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 1:42:33 am

Cool thanks for the feedback /answers guys...will look into that plugin!
thanks
miles

Return to posts index

Philippe LessardRe: Is It possible to have part of a mask feathered while part of it is sharp?
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 6:13:15 pm

There is a plugin from Re-Vision called PV feather, I'll do exactly what you looking for, like mocha!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]