ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quicktime previews wrong dimensions for video...?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Fullam
Quicktime previews wrong dimensions for video...?
on Jan 13, 2012 at 10:08:23 pm

OK. I can't be the only one who's encountered this...

When I export a h264 movie from After Effects that's 300 x 250 and open it in quicktime... quicktime says that the size is 480 x 400 ...?! If I were to bring that same exported movie back into After Effects or Premiere it's 300 x 250.

I've scoured my export settings ... exported ... re-exported ... same results?

I'm working with After Effects CS5.5, Qicktime 10.1 and my operating system is Mac OS 10.7.

Any insight would be appreciated.

-- Brett

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Quicktime previews wrong dimensions for video...?
on Jan 13, 2012 at 10:52:28 pm

have you tried it in quicktime 7... i know there used to be issues with quicktime x.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brett Fullam
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:21:13 pm

Hi Kevin,

It seems to be an issue with Quicktime X. We just upgraded everything in my office so there aren't any legacy versions floating around to confirm it though.

Due to time constraints I switched over from quicktime to VLC, and that player didn't have any issues displaying at the correct dimensions.

Thanks for the quick response.

-- Brett

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2012 at 11:20:07 pm

The quicktime player isn't the world's most accurate way to gauge either frame rate or image size. Don't trust it. Trust AE & Premiere.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brett Fullam
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:18:32 pm

Dave,

After a very extensive search... I believe I found an older forum post of yours where you said the same thing. So, I abandoned quicktime and switched over to VLC.

VLC displayed it at the correct dimensions. It's easy to get my art director and creative director to switch to VLC to preview this, but it makes me cringe when I think about what the client's viewing experience is like.

Thanks for the quick response.

-- Brett

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:45:48 pm

As Walter says, QT shows you the resolution it's displaying, not necessarily the actual resolution. It's an annoying feature to me, and I wish they'd just stop it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 14, 2012 at 1:36:15 am

[Brett Fullam] "When I export a h264 movie from After Effects that's 300 x 250 and open it in quicktime... quicktime says that the size is 480 x 400 ...?! If I were to bring that same exported movie back into After Effects or Premiere it's 300 x 250."

Quicktime Player X shows the size of the video as it's currently being displayed on-screen, not the actual size of the raster as specified in the movie file. If you drag the handle on the lower-right hand corner to resize the video, you'll see those numbers change.

It's going up to 480x400 because Quicktime Player X's window can't be any narrower than 400px or so wide in order to accommodate the on-screen player controls.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Brett Fullam
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:28:22 pm

Hi Walter,

I know about how to resize the video in quicktime, and thought it was strange that "actual size" wasn't an option I could select. The window was 480 x 400 and I couldn't get the window to resize even when I manually grabbed the window to expand-reduce it.

There's absolutely NO documentation about Quicktime's inability to go below 400 pixels.

I really appreciate you sharing that piece of information... no I feel that I have a solid understanding as to why this is can/will happen.

Thanks again.

-- Brett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]