ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is this ethical?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Camin
Is this ethical?
on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:47:45 am

If I had an former classmate at a company that had the power to recommend me as a contract motion designer, could I offer them say, a one-time monetary gift, or say, 20% of my fee for the first 100 hours? Or perhaps, not money, but a physical gift.

Where does the ethical border lie?

I've never done this but the thought has crossed my mind. But I want to stay ethical, fair and honest.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Jm Chadillon
Re: Is this ethical?
on Jan 13, 2012 at 3:17:23 pm

basically you're looking to give a gift to the people that hire you? I wouldn't. The industry is based off of who you know, not what you know. Its a sad realization but its for the most part true.

Anyone that we look for for freelance are people that we know and they gladly take our work. I wouldn't give them 20% off your services or anything. It just would be weird when they go to hire you the second time because that isn't something that people typically do and they would probably ask questions when everything costs more.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 13, 2012 at 3:53:40 pm

" could I offer them say, a one-time monetary gift, or say, 20% of my fee for the first 100 hours? Or perhaps, not money, but a physical gift"

I don't know where your friend works, but this is against the policy of most of the companies I've worked for (in the US). Even the suggestinon of such a gift can be seen as being unethical in some places.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 13, 2012 at 5:15:07 pm

Take what Shawn and Jim said, and add it to the fact that a good portion of those hiring freelancers in our industry start off with the old "if you'll do this project cheap, we'll have loads of work for you." and then move on to the next, and the next, and the next freelancer.

You're setting yourself up for a fixed low price, forever, from this company. If your "friend" believes enough in your talents, he should get you in the door with no cover charge.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Jan 13, 2012 at 5:42:33 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far.

The context I was pondering would be a former classmate, someone I don't know very well, that has influence in a company. They wouldn't be doing the direct hiring but could put a good word in with a producer.

Or if I were networking with a stranger that had the same amount of influence at a company as above (they don't do direct hiring) and I said, hey, if you can get me in the door as a contractor, pass my reel to the right person, I'll buy you a 3D TV or something.

I wouldn't gift the actual person that could hire me because that would look weird regardless of the ethics.

----

I did have a realtor friend ask me to buy a house from her and she said she couldn't give me a commission cut but she could buy me a gift.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Kevin Reiner
on Jan 13, 2012 at 6:48:04 pm

Write him a nice thank you letter, not by email, but in ink. That says far more in my mind, seems more heartfelt and doesn't cross ethical boundaries.

-Reiner

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7