ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE doesn't seem to want to use all my resources

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jm Chadillon
AE doesn't seem to want to use all my resources
on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:03:46 pm

I have a 2011 Mac Pro 12 core with 64 gigs of ram running AE CS5. All on Lion.

Ive been doing a lot of reading about how to optimize render times by setting a certain amount of ram per core to use. For some odd reason i can't get AE to use all of the installed ram that i have installed. From my understanding, since I'm running AE in 64 bit mode there shouldn't be any limitation on the amount of ram i can divide out to my cores.

Right now I'm rendering a proxy and am getting in my activity monitor, CPU is at 92-95% User, and my system memory is at 13.87gb used 50.11 free. What gives? I would love for those figures to be inverted, 50 gigs to AE and 14 odd gigs to everything else.

Is there something I'm missing? I know this is a common topic, but not too much info is out there for really powerful machines like this one.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: AE doesn't seem to want to use all my resources
on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:12:41 pm

if your cpu activity is high across all cores, then you settings are good... that means that all cores are getting data as quickly as they can process.

the lower ram usage just means that ae doesn't need all the ram available for that comp, not that it won't use it if it needed it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jm Chadillon
on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:15:56 pm

Thats what i was afraid of. I don't understand why AE wouldn't just want to push out frames as fast as possible. Right now the comp that I'm trying to export is slated at 8 hours to export a proof sized (half) file yet the activity on the resources never go up. Even my proxy is sitting at 1.25 hours and my resources aren't all being used.

if AE was using all of or most of my memory then i wouldn't have to sit and wait all that time.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:24:25 pm

[Jm Chadillon] "if AE was using all of or most of my memory then i wouldn't have to sit and wait all that time."

not exactly... the speed that your computer can process is determined by the core speed x the number of cores. you said the cpu levels are 92-95% that mean they are processing about as fast as they can, so ae doesn't need to use more ram, the cpus just can't process any more data than they are already.

now if you cpu levels were at 50% and your ram levels were low, then you'd question why the cpus can't get more data to crunch, so the processing levels would be higher.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jm Chadillon
on Jan 12, 2012 at 7:33:19 pm

so basically all of this memory is bottlenecking at the CPU? There isn't any way to use it? I may as well take out the ram and use it to keep my papers from blowing in the wind?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:00:43 pm

That RAM would quickly get used if you had very large layers in your comp. At the moment, you're doing computationally-intensive things in your comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jm Chadillon
on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:08:50 pm

seems correct. Basically its a snowstorm, probably about 3 or 4 particular layers, at 2560x720.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:27:44 pm

Yeah, Particular (especially on layers that size) is going to be very CPU heavy. Other comps may be more RAM heavy, it all depends on what you're doing in a specific project.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]