ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animate a water drop.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan DanielssonAnimate a water drop.
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:08:21 pm

Hello, first off i'm new here so i'm not sure where this thread should be, anyway.

I'm trying to create a water drip that's faling down and then shapens into a water puddle. I'm quite new to any sort of animating/modeling so i guess it will be some issues with that. I'm trying to stick to After effects and 3dsmax since that is the software i'm capable of using in school. I can use Cinema 4d aswell if it's really necessary.

Anyway i really need some tips on what i could use to create it, thanks in advance and please bare with me and my lack of knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animate a water drop.
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:08:52 pm

That is a really, REALLY tough thing to do if this drop has to look photorealistic. I wouldn't want to do it.

There are too many environmental influences on the look of a water drop to get it to move realistically by creating one in AE. Water drops also refract light, and refract the background seen through them, a REALLY big headache. This is stuff not for the faint of heart.

So what about something easier, like a cartoon raindrop? Since you want to show it hitting a surface and splashing, you'd be better off creating one in the same manner as traditional cel animation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jm ChadillonRe: Animate a water drop.
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 8:05:15 pm

use metaballs in Cinema. there are also good raindrop tuts out there for making ripples as the textures pass through the puddle. You may need to have the puddle premodeled

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved