ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

1280x720 25fps to NTSC DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Goodall1280x720 25fps to NTSC DVD
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 11:20:39 am

Hi Wise Ones - and Happy New Year.

I have a film that has been output to 1280x720 @25fps. A US distributor needs it on a DVD as NTSC.

I know I am probably being dense, but Natress assumes PAL interlaced source. I've done PAL dv to NTSC dv in the past, but what with all this technology - I'm at a loss as to converting 1280 25fps for NTSC DVD. I've run it through Natress on what I took to be as close to correct settings as I can get, aside from the field dominance. I forced it to progressive (as the source is). The result is very choppy and therefore not nice to look at. I've also tried it straight through Apple's Compressor, and it's OK, but still choppy in places.

Is there a good way of converting this?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 1280x720 25fps to NTSC DVD
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 5:44:23 pm

I see you tried Compressor. Thus, you have Final Cut Suite.

Would the people in the States object if you simply conformed a self-contained QT to 23.976 using Cinema Tools, and raised the pitch of the resulting audio in Soundtrack Pro a tiny bit to reflect the slightly slower frame rate? This would allow you to author a 24p NTSC DVD in DVD Studio Pro, or you could simply deliver two files: the video and the audio track.

The running time will be a bit longer, but not very much. Furthermore, it's a lot easier than messing with it in AE. Especially the audio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David GoodallRe: 1280x720 25fps to NTSC DVD
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:00:28 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the idea - sounded good. I had, however just successfully converted before I read it! I used JES Deinterlacer to make an NTSC QT version, then made an MPEG2 in Compressor - the end result is actually quite good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved