ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE lossless export 5D footage to AVID

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pantelis AdamantiadisAE lossless export 5D footage to AVID
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 11:15:16 am

hello to you all.
my everyday workflow has to do with exporting from AE and importing to AVID. the footage I work comes from a Canon 5D. to be sure that no information will be lost I use the QUICKTIME ANIMATION codec.. i just want to ask if I could use any other codec so i could save some space.. I don't know if that helps but my import resolution in avid has to be XDCAM 50mbits(1080i/50). thank you!

Pantelis

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: AE lossless export 5D footage to AVID
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:03:10 pm

My workflow to Avid is to render to the Avid DNxHD codecs. It's what the Avid is going to trancode your footage to enventually, plus you get the benefit of fast import.

If you don't have the codecs installed, you can get them here:
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=263545

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Pantelis AnastasiadisRe: AE lossless export 5D footage to AVID
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:30:00 pm

what about AE? can I export using a different codec without loss of information and save some space?

Pantelis Anastasiadis

Motion Graphics - Editing
PROSENGHISI FILM & VIDEO PRODUCTIONS

pantelis@prostv.com
http://www.prostv.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:35:39 pm

A QT_Animation when it gets to avid will lose something just being transcoded to an Avid format, so I'm suggesting to render to a QT-Avid DNxHD codec(preferably to what you will be using in the Avid).

It will definetely save space, I did a small test today and it was about 1/5 the size of animation and I can't see any difference.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:41:39 pm

I will try it. Thank you very much!

Pantelis Anastasiadis

pantelis@prostv.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2012 at 10:40:38 am

You are right! It works fine for me too.. Thank you very much! But when I try to export with alpha a little problem occurs. The codec settings window appears a little strange in after effects. I'm working on a Mac and the window is like it is compressed and the OK button is on top of the alpha settings. Does this happens to you too? So i cannot export with alpha channel. Even when the OK button disappears for a while and I try to select one of the alpha settings, nothing happens. Thanks a lot for the help.

Pantelis Anastasiadis

pantelis@prostv.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 15, 2012 at 2:08:46 pm

This most likely is happening cause you don't have the latest Avid Codec version.

From Avid's Site:
Update: October 8th, 2010:The following change was made in the 2.3.2 codec package:
•Previously applications utilizing the DNxHD codec on Westmere MacPro 12 core systems would crash. This has been fixed.

The following changes were made in the 2.3 codec package:
1.Previously the settings dialog for the DNxHD codec was not fully visible or functional when used in some third party applications. This has been fixed.

2.Previously editor products would crash when displaying Media Composer's export dialog box for QuickTime. This occurred in Japanese and other non-English OS. This has been fixed.

Avid Codec Link

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]