ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I Erase a Reflection?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Esola
How do I Erase a Reflection?
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:05:11 am

I'm using After Effects CS5. I have video footage of a car passing slowly and you can partially see the cameraman and other crew in the side paneling and windows of the car as it passes. What are my options for erasing this unwanted reflection? Is it best to go frame by frame? It's only 30 to 40 frames. Please be detailed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Nick

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: How do I Erase a Reflection?
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:15:25 am

Can you see in the car? If not you could get away by making a clean plate of the window and tracking it in place. If the reflection goes over an actor that's inside the car you'll be painting.

Return to posts index

Nick Esola
on Jan 10, 2012 at 1:52:57 pm

Well I can see in the car, but since the camera is positioned on the second half of the car, when the car starts moving the camera's reflections show in the paneling after the driver side window and the window into the backseat where no one is sitting inside. So basically, no. You do not see and actor inside the car. But, there is reflection on blue paneling AND a window.

So what's the best way to erase this reflection? Would the clone stamp tool work?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:20:54 pm

Can you send me a clip of the shot? It would make things easier. Also cloning is pretty hard because the picture will start to bubble if you aren't really, really good at it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 11, 2012 at 7:52:07 am

The easiest way would be to create a clean plate of the side of the car that has reflections (with alpha - PSD layer), do a planar track with Mocha, replace the side with the clean plate using track data from Mocha and then add grain to match the video.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]