ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Offsetting the video while not moving the mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tero Ahlfors
Offsetting the video while not moving the mask
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:46:21 am

I feel really dumb right now. I haven't been using AE for a while and can't figure this out. I've been using this technique where you duplicate a layer and make a mask on eg. a wire on a sky and offset the video so I'm getting clean sky on the part I've masked. iQ has a DVE effect where you can move only the video or the matte or both. How can I offset the video while keeping the mask in the same place? If I change the position of the layer the mask moves with it.

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Offsetting the video while not moving the mask
on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:55:01 am

You are moving with the selection (v) tool; try repositioning the layer's time using the anchor-point selection (y) tool. As long as none of your layers are selected, the timing of the footage will change without moving any of the key frames.

Other methods:

- Use time remapping on your layer, then select both remap key frames (start and finish) and move those around as needed.

- Pre-comp your layer, choosing the option to keep all settings in your current composition. Then go into the precomp and slide the layer around to your heart's delight!

- The clone tool (you find it as a part of the brush tool options) has a time offset feature, but of course it uses cloning instead of masks.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:22:06 am

I don't want to offset the time, just the position. Precomping sounds like a solution though it's not as WYSIWYG I'd like. I'll try that out when I can. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 10, 2012 at 8:30:45 am

Precomping still moves the mask around.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 10, 2012 at 11:31:28 am

I messed up. Precomp worked.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:06:29 am

The After Effects render order [link] is METL: masks, effects, transforms, layer styles, so your mask will always be applied before your position animation (transform).

I know you found a solution with precomping, but here's another alternative: you could use the masked image as an alpha matte [link] above an unmasked copy of the layer. This will let you transform the layer however you like, then matte it according the mask from the duplicate (but non-animated) layer above.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]