ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Freezing with files over 1,000 KB

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara Galvis
AE Freezing with files over 1,000 KB
on Jan 9, 2012 at 7:28:06 pm

Hello CreativeCow crew!

Hope you guys can help me with this issue.
AE is not opening files that are over 1,000KB when it was fine a day ago. I thought it could be a corrupted file so I tried other files and it was giving me the same problem. I uninstalled the whole Master collection and installed it again but still had same problem. The file opens fine in another computer so i dont know what can be causing the problem. I'm running it on a 16GB, i7, 64bit computer.

Sara Galvis

Thanks!
http://www.Sarvisvfx.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: AE Freezing with files over 1,000 KB
on Jan 9, 2012 at 7:36:57 pm

when you sya opening a filr, do you mean opening an ae project file that's 1000KB or importing an image/footage or other item that is over 1000KB?

if it's a project file, can you open the project with the caps lock key on?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sara Galvis
on Jan 9, 2012 at 8:31:20 pm

I mean opening a project file that's over 1,000KB. I find it weird since one day before was working fine. I tried opening AE fresh and tried importing that same file to see if it was being picky and no luck. I also tried opening a new AE comp and importing 1GB of random files (images, footage, audio) and froze as well. Projects smaller than 1,000KB open up fine. And yes i can open the project with caps locks on, file opens with the caps lock warning bar but it only lets me click once or twice before it says "Not Responding"

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Sara Galvis
on Jan 9, 2012 at 9:18:17 pm

I mean opening a project file that's over 1,000KB. I find it weird since one day before was working fine. I tried opening AE fresh and tried importing that same file to see if it was being picky and no luck. I also tried opening a new AE comp and importing 1GB of random files (images, footage, audio) and froze as well. Projects smaller than 1,000KB open up fine. And yes i can open the project with caps locks on, file opens with the caps lock warning bar but it only lets me click once or twice before it says "Not Responding"

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 9, 2012 at 10:21:26 pm

there are two other typical suggestions to try if you think it's the project file.

open ae first, wait for the background processes to start (if you have multi-processing enabled), then open the project.

or try importing the project into a new project.

although, one thing you might try first is to check the multiprocessing & memory preference in ae. make sure that you leave around 30-40% of you total ram for other apps. you might also try disabling multiprocessing to see if that helps.

you might even try resetting the preferences to the default values by restarting ae and holding ctrl+alt+shift (win) or command+option+shift (osx). though, since you did a reinstall, i'm not too confident that either of those will help...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:18:55 pm

the more i think about this the more i think that there is probably an issue with a layer... either the footage/contents of the layer or an effect on the layer.

you said yo could open the project with the caps lock key on, but then it would freeze a few clicks later. i assume that's a few clicks after hitting caps lock to allow previews again.

try hiding all layers prior to hitting caps lock to enable preview. then enable the layers one by one until it crashes. once you have that layer identified, reopen (with caps lock on) and then hide any effects on that layer and hit caps lock. then enable those effects one by one until you find the bad effect.

if there aren't any effects or it crashes regardless of the effects, try deleting that layer and reimporting it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sara Galvis
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:58:38 pm

I checked the multi-processing settings and left around 30%-40% for other apps and also disabled multiprocessing and still freezes. I also thought about your suggestion of a layer or effect being the problem but I really doubt it cause then other project files would be opening fine and that's not the case. What you told me to do, about identifying the bad layer and deleting it, I can't do either cause the minute I open the file one click and freezes so I'm kind of stuck when it comes to trying to do any kind of changes to the file.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:38:11 pm

[Sara Galvis] "the minute I open the file one click and freezes"

if that's with the caps lock key on, then the issue probably wouldn't be a layer/footage or effect issue. it sounds like an application issue or conflict with other software/hardware.

you should check that you have the latest update to your version of ae.

if you have third-party effects. you might try uninstalling them, or at least making sure they are the latest updates (or the versions that are recommended for your ae version).

same for any third party codecs and drivers and software for a video i/o card (like aja, blackmagic, matrox, etc) if you have one installed.

i think you mentioned that the project opened on another machine, if so, you might look for differences between the two machines, particularly the os version, but also any other software install differences or third-party hardware differences.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]